Any Caribou hunters here?

I hunted Caribou in Canada 15 years ago. They are herd animals. One day no animals the next more than you can count. Elk hunting is more sport and a lot more work. That being said; hunting trips are fun. You will have a great time and if you hunt in western Canada you probably will get a Caribou.
Yeah. As a kid I read "The Art of Hunting Big Game In North America" cover to cover many times. Jack O'Connor makes a comment in there that he'd never hunt caribou again due to their 'stupidity'. Since then and after watching several hunts on TV, I've personally never wanted to and would put elk at the top of my list but they are supposedly great eating and an out of state/country hunting trip is always a treat!
Good luck OP! Take lots of pics with that cam!

1375250_10200139117960553_1991598918_n-jpg.360952

^^^ Thats a truck load of moose! I like this picture!

Wess im going to try them both. Hunting trips are great. I just dont get to go enough. Sniper I have a lot of details to work out but may have some spots available.
Well brother here in the next year or so we should do an ODT hunt for some elk. Got to find out about how to get tags and all the legal stuff but that would be a blast!

Well brother here in the next year or so we should do an ODT hunt for some elk. Got to find out about how to get tags and all the legal stuff but that would be a blast!
Colorado tags are over the counter for bulls. More then enough land out there. My biggest concern is the lack of knowledge of elk hunting. I'm in to try it but it's high dollar with a guide. Tons of research needed.

Hunted Caribou 19 years ago in Alaska with my college roomate, his father and 2 of his father's friends. 2 week self-guided river float trip where they fly you out on a float plane and plan to pick you up 80 miles down river. 1 week into it we hadn't seen jack and we're stranded on a gravel island with head winds that were stronger than the current. We sat there for hours and didn't even see any bush planes fly near us. Fortunately we had someone pass by from a guide service hunting camp who was headed down river for supplies and took us back to their camp for the night. Needless to say an expensive hunting trip became a really expensive hunting trip but they put us on the herd the next day.

An hour into our hunt, 4 out if 5 of us had filled our tags and the 5th easily could have. After hunting caribou, I have no desire to do it again. They move in a herd at about 5 mph and graze as they cross the tundra. If you are a decent shot at 200 - 300 meters, you have no problem bagging your choice of the 100+ animals in the herd. I'd recommend finding a cattle rancher, agreeing on the price for one of his cows, then shoot it...beef tastes a lot better and is a whole lot cheaper. The overall experience was incredible but the caribou hunt itself was a lititle disappointing.

And they are incredibly stupid animals. I took a decent Caribou with a double shovel. While quartering him up I had a grandpa monster caribou pass within 300 meters that made mine look like a budding buck. We were checking him out through my scope as he watched us. We moved the head around of the one I had shot and it drew him in closer. Could have easily bagged him too but didn't want to pay for another tag, pack out a 2nd, pay for meat processing, and would've definitely had to have him mounted.

If I had it to do over again, I would do that trip just as a fishing trip only or saved up to spend the extra money to do a Rocky Mountain elk hunt or Alaska moose hunt.

Back
Top Bottom