• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any idea what is causing this leak - 4 wheeler

I don't know your particular application but the hose/tube is typically:
Located at the top of the crankcase, may or may not have some type of one way check valve installed, might be routed towards bottom of engine,
And terminates to nothing (ie...vent).
With what you stated (leaks only when running) I would just verify cc vent is clean and venting before randomly changing gaskets and seals.

Thanks. It's an old Honda Fourtrax that they only made for 2 years so it's difficult to find much info on it. I finally found a pdf service manual, and it looks like 2 in the diagram below so I just need to remove the gas tank to access.

breather-tube.jpg

Take that chain off and soak it down with WD40. Let that sit over night. Keep going back and spray it down intermittently. Then let it soak in a coffee can or other container in oil for a day. It needs a spot of lube. That thing hasn't seen a drop of lube in a very long time. I am referring to the second pic. Or is that a parts unit.

Crank oil seal I'd think.
Check thar breather tube first. Also look at the deformity of the seal at the bottom. It may be the seal needs replaced. My question is what happened to cause the deformation. Does it look like that on the other side. Take a pic of the other side and post it. If the other is the same way you could have a crank bearing on the way out causing that seal deformity. Just a thought based on what I see at a close up glance. Don't be worried though it might have been that way for a while and might be fine. It's hard to say for sure without being there to inspect it up close. Have someone crank it over and watch that shaft and see if there is any shaft movement. It should rotate not ocellate.

Back
Top Bottom