• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any older guys have regrets due to pain from shooting.

Tinnitus in both ears from not wearing any hearing protection in the 80s shooting .22s on indoor ranges. Big mistake. Compounded by loud music working in nightclubs. Rifle and artillery fire were no help I'm sure. Wear your ear pro.

Left and right shoulders are a complete mess, both have been repaired. Some of that was due to shooting I'm sure. Chainsaws, splitting wood, ball throwing, spear chunking, drawing bows, etc., I have no idea. Just the cost of getting older I reckon. Bone replaced with prosthetic in the right wrist slows my magnum handgun shooting WAY down too. 25 rounds of .44 Mag and I'm done for the day.

I enjoy shooting smaller guns. I shoot a lot of j frame and many of those are a 642. I also shoot my glock 43 a good bit. I shoot the smaller guns more because that it was I carry the most. I am noticing after a few hundred round of 642 and a few hundred rounds of 43 my hand is tender a few days. I'm taking a few weeks off from shooting to see if it eases up. I'm wondering if others who have shot for years are wishing they would have shot heavier or less recoiling guns more due to hand or elbow discomfort. I'm thinking I'm going to begin to limit myself to 50 642 and 50 43 and then spend the remainder of my time and ammo on larger softer guns. Me sure I'll be better off with 50 focused than 150 just shooting.

Wow, I just hit the range this week and fired 3 snub_nose revolver's, and now my hand hurts. My hand has never hurt before after firing! I know I'm getting old!

I do qualify as an old guy so I will comment. lol
I should have worn ear protection more when I was younger. But I don't have any hand or shoulder problems caused by shooting. Now, my hand will hurt if I put too many rounds down range with my snub .38 carry piece. So if I am hitting the target, I don't fire a lot of rounds. I can fire my .45 1911 longer, but I usually don't put many more rounds down range with the .45 than I do with the .38. Honestly, I can't say that my hands or shoulders are worse from shooting all these years.

I have pain in my hands from boxing and am pretty sure I'm developing arthritis in my left hand. I shot a 44 mag a few years ago, it didn't hurt at the moment but I felt it for days

No real issues from shooting, even after shooting the heavy calibers. Pretty bad hearing loss from shooting guns and playing music without proper hearing protection, but standing by the drummer probably did more damage than the hunting and shooting. Like others have stated here, the tinitus is pretty bad sometimes.

I don't shoot small, hard-recoiling handguns "hundreds of rounds" at a time.
The closest thing to that I've done is 100 to 150 rounds of standard-pressure range ammo from an alloy-frame S&W .38 snubby. That's OK. Not exactly comfortable, but not painful either. No lingering effects afterward. I never shoot more than 10 rounds at a time of +P ammo out of it or similar guns.

Shooting my Kel-Tec P3AT with 100-grain bullets does hurt my fingers, especially the knuckle on my trigger finger, which gets slammed by the inside of the trigger guard with each shot (it may be due to the fact that a laser is clamped around my trigger guard, reducing the clearance for my finger somewhat). But I deal with this by limiting myself to about 30 rounds out of that gun per range session. Or I'll do 30 rounds from it as the first gun I shoot at that range session, then set it aside and shoot other guns for an hour, and then finish-off with that .380 again at the end of the range trip.

I've noticed I have trouble hearing when there is background noise. Always thought I was pretty good about hearing protection. I'm religious about it these days. No other issues but I'm not quite an older guy yet. Some things are worth it :)

I load dewc over 3.0 of bullseye. It's not bad. Do you think a 125 bullet would be softer still?

CAMSDADDY, I see you your problem as 2 fold:

1) Try reloading with trailboss under 125 gr, i can see about loaning you some. I'm pretty sure once you try this route...your pain may subside...
2) What ever amount of pain reduction from above will be offset by you shooting 2x as much in one sitting. Perhaps you should try item 1 above and shoot 1/2 as much in one sitting

Back
Top Bottom