Any painters have advice for an ameteur?

rlmblm21

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
13   0
Reaction score
My daughter is just about to pop with her first child (and my first grandchild). She has set her sites on an old dresser that has been in one of my kids' rooms for 10 or more years. Long story short, I have spent 20 hours stripping and sanded off what seems like 4-5 coats of various paints and primers (been painted at least twice), and have it down to the wood. I've stripped and sanded my fingers to the bone and now I think I am ready to paint.

I want it to be PERFECT for her. I bondo-ed the drawer pulls so she can pick new ones out, and skimmed the top with bondo to take out all the scratches.

I'm wondering if my project will look good with a brush paint job, or if I should try to use a spray painter? I've priced them and they are ungodly expensive, so my questions are:

1) Can I achieve a smooth as glass finish with a paint brush?
2) if not, can I sand painted surface to minimize brush strokes?
3) if none of the above, does anyone know where I could rent a spray painter for less than a billion dollars it costs to buy one?

Thanks for your time.

I have brush painted and wet sanded furniture. But to get the final surface I wanted, I still had to end with a spray coat.

I did this with an old dresser for our daughter's nursery about a year ago when my wife was pregnant. I used a thin brush and sanded in between 3 coats. Still not perfect but looks good with new hardware. I think the big box stores rent the spray equipment which seems like the only way to get it perfect.

Edit: I am in no shape or form a pro

I you want to paint it camo, there are lots of folks here that do great work. If you add stippling you would create a priceless heirloom that would be handed down for generations.

My daughter is just about to pop with her first child (and my first grandchild). She has set her sites on an old dresser that has been in one of my kids' rooms for 10 or more years. Long story short, I have spent 20 hours stripping and sanded off what seems like 4-5 coats of various paints and primers (been painted at least twice), and have it down to the wood. I've stripped and sanded my fingers to the bone and now I think I am ready to paint.

I want it to be PERFECT for her. I bondo-ed the drawer pulls so she can pick new ones out, and skimmed the top with bondo to take out all the scratches.

I'm wondering if my project will look good with a brush paint job, or if I should try to use a spray painter? I've priced them and they are ungodly expensive, so my questions are:

1) Can I achieve a smooth as glass finish with a paint brush?
2) if not, can I sand painted surface to minimize brush strokes?
3) if none of the above, does anyone know where I could rent a spray painter for less than a billion dollars it costs to buy one?

Thanks for your time.
They make an additive for paint that helps to prevent the streaking. Ask someone at HomeDepot for this if you brush paint it. This also helps if you spray paint, it makes the paint apply smoother and blend better.

You guys are awesome! I've been using my local Sherwin Williams store (instead of HD) for most advice and supplies. I will check with them about the thinner. I also think I'm going to grab that $50 sprayer. I agree with the statement that, since I've already put that much time in it, for $50, I can go the final step.

Thanks to all of you for the quick responses. I'm hoping to apply at least the primer today, so wish me luck! My daughter is a bit of an emotional rollercoaster right now, and proffering up a perfect piece is going to win me some points!

Check out Ann Sloan chalk paint if you ever paint furniture again. No prep work just paint it , distress it, wax it to your liking. Really cool stuff if you want to skip the prep

Check out Ann Sloan chalk paint if you ever paint furniture again. No prep work just paint it , distress it, wax it to your liking. Really cool stuff if you want to skip the prep
I would love to do this, but she's got her heart set on.........wait for it........'cause you won't believe it..........
BLACK. Ugh. She says it matches her crib and she's going to stencil flowers and stuff in bright colors. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom