• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

any tips for a first time home buyer?

Realtor

Default rank 5000+ posts Sponsor
Buying or selling real estate? PM me for Discounts
375   0
Reaction score
  • i always look towards this great community of brothers for great advice on everything and it never lets me down
  • i am looking at buying my first house, nothing to crazy... probably a 3 bedroom 2-3 bath
  • im looking to spend about 50-65k on this house & i have saved up and im looking to put down 10k cash... what do you think?
  • i have one guy that wants to move in with me.. hes reliable.. works 9-5 everyday and has payed rent for 2 straight years without any problem [ i know get everything in writing in a contract ]
  • i am wanting any tips from the brothers that have bought their first house and wish they could go back and do something different or anyone else that have some advice for me
  • thanks in advance

Have someone who knows what they are doing inspect the house. Especially for hvac problem and moisture problems. I do hvac work and have seen a lot of people buy without knowing the ac is leaking freon or leaking air out of ductwork. I have also seen lot of moisture problems in crawl spaces.

What he said. I would even go so far as to get a second home inspection. We got one from a reputable inspector and things are popping up that should have been caught. I can't help but wonder if a second opinion may have helped.

Avoid anything that has to do with a HOA

Don't buy anything less than 3 bedrooms

I'm a firm believer in the house is only part of the worth, look for something that sits on a reasonable amount of land. 1/2 acre minimum

Be prepared for house repairs and make sure that you can afford for 1k or more dollar repairs that may pop up.

Good luck, buying a house was the best and worst decision I ever made.

• i always look towards this great community of brothers for great advice on everything and it never lets me down
  • i am looking at buying my first house, nothing to crazy... probably a 3 bedroom 2-3 bath
  • im looking to spend about 50-65k on this house & i have saved up and im looking to put down 10k cash... what do you think?
  • i have one guy that wants to move in with me.. hes reliable.. works 9-5 everyday and has payed rent for 2 straight years without any problem [ i know get everything in writing in a contract ]
  • i am wanting any tips from the brothers that have bought their first house and wish they could go back and do something different or anyone else that have some advice for me
  • thanks in advance

Get a home inspection. Get a survey. Make sure to have a long enough "free look" period during which you can cancel the contract. Make sure to have appraisal and financing contingencies in the contract. It is also a good idea to have an attorney or realtor looking out for your interests.

Money is cheap to borrow right now. Put down the minimum required and keep the rest in the bank. With a house in the price range you're looking at, your mortgage payment will be low regardless of weather you put 3k down or 10k. Hire a good home inspector with plenty of experience, they're worth the extra money over someone green with only a few years in the field. PM me if you need a referral for someone. I spent many years in the mortgage industry and know alot of folks in your area.

Back
Top Bottom