Any tips for cheap or free sound dampening insulation?

lza

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
11   0
Reaction score
My friends and I just got an old indoor range/turkey shoot handed down to us and we are trying to fix it back up for as little money as possible. What would be something free or really cheap that would be good to use to sound proof it? In the 20 years it hasnt been used a neighborhood has been built close by and we dont want to disturb anyone, Thanks.

Egg crate and foam are the best on the cheap but also old blankets sheets rags and curtains on the walls hang them like curtains in a movie theater. And next to the shooting bench a old matrass or sleeping foam on its side. But if you have a buddy in commercial renovation the old ceiling tiles u know redirects throw out about ten a year cause the grease in the air turns them yellow. Hope it helps.

PS
The next odt shoot out is at your new spot

I had a couple friends with a recording studio in their basement. They hung carpet foam and shag carpet from the walls to dampen the sound. Keep in mind that carpet is flammable. If you can get some cheap or even dirty wool carpet, wool is not flammable.

I had a couple friends with a recording studio in their basement. They hung carpet foam and shag carpet from the walls to dampen the sound. Keep in mind that carpet is flammable. If you can get some cheap or even dirty wool carpet, wool is not flammable.

The egg cartons are also very flammable since it is recycled paper and OCC. I'd find a flame retardant foam insulation or one that has a very high flash point. GLWI

There is a difference between sound dampening and sound attenuation. The egg crates, drapes and carpets will do great to attenuate the sound and cut down on reverberation within the space, but they are terrible at dampening the sound and making it quieter outside.

I am currently building a sound dampened room in my basement so I can practice drums without bothering the neighbors, and I can tell you that there is no cheap way out. The best way to kill sound is mass. Heavy drywall, double layers of drywall to add mass, and find a way to isolate the drywall from the structure so the vibrations are not transfered to the outside.

Back
Top Bottom