• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any tricks to consistently catching suspended fish?

Man, that is a great sonar pic! What model is that? I fish for crappie regularly year round. Right now, I’m about the only one catching them. What is the water color in your lake?

I troll Bandit 300 series crankbaits on 12 lb line. I use and have success with various colors. My trolling speed is 1.6-1.8 mph. Depending on how much line you have out, they will get 12+ feet deep. The ones that catch the most fish for me are Grenada Shad, Hotty Totty and white. Red treble hooks are killer for crappie. Remember, crappie normally feed up so keep the bait in their face or above them. Troll with the wind seems to help. Caught my biggest, 2.5 lb and 16” last summer.

I’ve also had some success dropping a Bobby Garland jig tipped with a minnow and moving very slowly .2-.4 mph through them.

GLW fishing!

Thanks! The water is crystal clear. It’s a springfed lake and takes a pretty hard rain to even get it muddy. The fishfinder is a Garmin but I’ll have to check the model number later. We’re headed to a Braves game.

EDIT: The fish finder is the Garmin Stirker 5VC and it was in "night mode" in the pic hince the black background. It came on the boat but I love it.

what are you using on your drop shot? If you have a favorite that is. I’ve got all sorts of plastics.
Any drop shot worm is decent these days, you can wacky rig it or you and stick it through the end of the worm. Clear water I'd use a natural color, green pumpkin or green pumpkin green, on lanier I've been catching a lot the last couple years in a pink worm and a redish color worm.

Any drop shot worm is decent these days, you can wacky rig it or you and stick it through the end of the worm. Clear water I'd use a natural color, green pumpkin or green pumpkin green, on lanier I've been catching a lot the last couple years in a pink worm and a redish color worm.
I try not to throw a worm on Lanier unless I have to. I like my swimbaits and jerkbaits. Especially in the winter. Not a big fan of the martins... but if you want to get good with a swimbait watch Scott Martin, he’s got it mastered.

I try not to throw a worm on Lanier unless I have to. I like my swimbaits and jerkbaits. Especially in the winter. Not a big fan of the martins... but if you want to get good with a swimbait watch Scott Martin, he’s got it mastered.
Yes, a fish head spin, jig, crank bait, I've been killing them on a broke back rapla green and red, it the heat they don't want to chase as much so drop shot or shake head when they are in deep water. Fish head swim year round, usually just a pearl white.

Back
Top Bottom