• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any wood workers here?

Get FDA grade mineral oil. It's sold as butcher block oil at home depot.
This^ Here is a butcher block I made for my mother this christmas finished in mineral oil.
i44.tinypic.com_15n13dk.jpg
i40.tinypic.com_wre2yc.jpg

There have been a couple of suggestions to buy oil from Home depot..... I'm a professional woodworker (meaning I earn my living from turning perfectly good pieces of wood into sawdust, and some furniture too). I don't buy anything for my projects from HD....Dumbed down to the masses / inferior quality / overpriced. If you're intending to scoop kitty litter with this, then by all means put one of HD's Minwax products on it. But if you're wanting to actually toss some salad greens, then I would think you'd want to do it right. A blended natural oil, even if you do a simple tung oil, will be way superior to anything off the shelf at Home Depot, aka the Wally World for your house.

That is true .Just bought a CNC for $10 000 (10 AKs +ammo ) :mad:
This is the standard. You can buy it at most any supermarket.

OP: Nice job for a first try! If you thinks guns is an expensive hobby, wait until you get into woodworking!

Take a scrap piece of the same oak, say 1x1x12" and put one end vertically into some ink or colored water in a small vessel. Within a few hours, you will see the color at the top of the piece. Oak in general is a "ring-porous" wood and will suck up just about anything you put it into and stay there getting rancid, etc. Don't use it for food. Hard maple is a good choice and a little almond oil or other non toxic oil that will not go rancid itself will do.

Back
Top Bottom