• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody been to Anniston CMP lately?

kuduman

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
I heard something terrible-- that they won't let you shoot the 600 yard targets anymore without some 10-shot "qualification" per gun, at 100 then 200 then 300 yards...

Can anyone confirm/deny this? I'll be darned if I'm driving 120 miles to burn out 5% of my barrel to show I'm not a bozo.

Never mind $1.50 a shot. I wouldn't normally have enough ammo for the qualification, before actually being able to start shooting.

I've been three times, and it's bad enough the 600 yard targets are 36" in diameter, rather than like, you know, 4". (I heard they would put up a smaller aiming spot now, but am thinking too little, too late.)

Comments? I haven't been in 18 months.

Wonderful place, or used to be.

Kuduman

I have no idea what they’re doing at the CMP range, and don’t have a dog in the fight, but I can’t 100% blame them for requiring a 10rd qualification. I’ve seen some of the shenanigans that goes on at rifle ranges.

The thought is that requiring a quality helps weed out buffoons. Keeping down the buffoons keeps down on damage and lawsuits. Keeping famage and lawsuits down keeps the overall operating costs down, which in turn keeps down the cost that shooters pay to shoot.

So, would you rather shoot a 1-time qual of 10 rounds with each rifle, or pay an increased fee every time you go there to shoot? I’d rather shoot the qual, but YMMV.

When I joined Governor’s Gun Club last year, I signed up for the course that would allow me to draw from the holster on the range. I didn’t bang my chest, get offended, and throw my certificates all over the place. While I’m not happy with it, I understand the reasoning behind it.

I’ve suggested to a lot of folks over the years; if you don’t like the way ranges are run, buy some land and run your own.

Thirty round qualification is what I heard.

I'm not "banging my chest" or getting offended like a child, I'm merely disappointed that I won't be shooting there any more. $45 plus $20 of barrel life (and an hour barrel cool down) just to start shooting isn't worth the trouble and expense. And that's too bad... the place was barely in use the times I've been, and I fear for its longevity. This won't help.

I've been many times. I've always been amazed that they allow any bufoon with a Nagant to start blasting at the Konig targets. One one of my first few trips the target system wasn't working (scoring) so I asked Leon to check it please. My brother was sitting beside me while I was shooting an M1A prone slung. Leon asked me if I knew how to run my "come ups" from 300 to 600 yards. The look on my brother's face was priceless as he expected me to blow up. LOL!!!!

I just told him, "Yes sir. Please check the bank (they were wired five in a string at that time) and sure enough. Some Momo next to me had clipped a wire in the frame at 600.

I understand kuduman's frustration but it will make the experience better for everyone if you have to demonstrate that you understand the math and sight adjustments involved in shooting at distances.

I had to demonstrate that I could shoot pistols at 25 and 50 yards so as to "hit the black" on the electronic target bullseye pistol range. I didn't mind a bit. The RO even complimented me on my groups.

Now my card is "punched" as "okay" and I can use it when it's open.

Kuduman is shooting different rifles than me (I've been there to watch him on an ODT range invasion) so I get the cost factor. I still think it's a good idea though.

If i remember correctly it costs around 2,000 or so to repair those targets. Proving you can hit a bit more than the road side of a barn is not unreasonable. I can remember having to qualify on the pistol range early on there. Today of you have a NRA pistol qualification at a certain level they figure you can shoot. Same probably goes on the high power range.

Remember the CMP is a private organization

I can't remember what he was shooting but there are many magnum caliber barrels that have a limited useful (accuracy) life. I'm amazed when I see someone shoot 60 rounds to "zero" a .338 Lapua Magnum at the range.

Thirty round qualification is what I heard.

I'm not "banging my chest" or getting offended like a child, I'm merely disappointed that I won't be shooting there any more. $45 plus $20 of barrel life (and an hour barrel cool down) just to start shooting isn't worth the trouble and expense. And that's too bad... the place was barely in use the times I've been, and I fear for its longevity. This won't help.

I don’t use the CMP ranges, but I would hate for any of them to disappear.

Back
Top Bottom