• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody been to Anniston CMP lately?

So Anniston is the same as Talladega?

But the following implies that it is different:
I dont find it unreasonable. Didnt used to be like that. The reason for the new policy probably has a lot to do with the consequences for not having the policy. Probably got tired of folks damaging their expensive equipment. It is a nice range. Talladega has the same rule now if I'm not mistaken.

Anniston is where the Army destroys perfectly good military surplus because civilians and prior service members aren't to be trusted with ordnance.
Anniston is also where the Civilian Marksmanship Program stores, refurbishes, checks, grades and sells semi-automatic military surplus arms for sale to members.
Talladega is where the CMP spent $21 million to build a state of the art marksmanship park so the public could come on down with the $80 Nagant and $30 worth of ammo to see if they could guess the sight settings in arshins to hit the $2,500 Konig targets at 200, 300 and 600 yards.

Talladega is about 25 miles from Anniston.

Well I am still confused. Assuming that when OP said Anniston CMP they actually meant Talladega CMP and that there is not actually 2 different 600 yard ranges with Kongsberg targets then I can say I was there on Nov 24th. I went to the 100 yard range to zero and then went to the 600 yard range and asked for the 300 yard target to be raised and there was no fuss about it. I do go there often and participate in their F Class matches so maybe that had something to do with it. YMMV

Anniston is where the Army destroys perfectly good military surplus because civilians and prior service members aren't to be trusted with ordnance.
Anniston is also where the Civilian Marksmanship Program stores, refurbishes, checks, grades and sells semi-automatic military surplus arms for sale to members.
Talladega is where the CMP spent $21 million to build a state of the art marksmanship park so the public could come on down with the $80 Nagant and $30 worth of ammo to see if they could guess the sight settings in arshins to hit the $2,500 Konig targets at 200, 300 and 600 yards.

Talladega is about 25 miles from Anniston.
Come on man, arshins is easy peasy. Lol

So Anniston is the same as Talladega?

But the following implies that it is different:

They are different. Anniston is a competition center that is co-located with the CMP store where you buy rifles and accessories.

The CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park is a separate outdoor facility a few miles down the road

Anniston:
D0035CB2-FC5A-42AD-8A74-4745D5AF523D.jpeg E3C12792-969D-41E1-A2B0-F46382F1786F.jpeg

Talladega:
C07B02A5-F6A1-4944-BE91-926EB18B9CD4.jpeg C956D6E8-B61D-40F2-99F5-84EF0526D902.jpeg

They are different. Anniston is a competition center that is co-located with the CMP store where you buy rifles and accessories.

The CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park is a separate outdoor facility a few miles down the road

So here is where my confusion lies. I have been to Talladega CMP but I have never heard of Anniston. OP titles this thread as Anniston CMP:

"I heard something terrible-- that they won't let you shoot the 600 yard targets anymore without some 10-shot "qualification" per gun, at 100 then 200 then 300 yards..."

I googled Anniston and saw it was a short distance to Talladega and was confused as why the CMP would put two 600 yard ranges that close together. Then someone else replied saying:
"I dont find it unreasonable. Didn't used to be like that. The reason for the new policy probably has a lot to do with the consequences for not having the policy. Probably got tired of folks damaging their expensive equipment. It is a nice range. Talladega has the same rule now if I'm not mistaken."

The important bit there is "Talladega has the same rule now if I'm not mistaken." This sentence only makes sense if Anniston is a different range then Talladega and Anniston's 600 yard range had these new rules and now Talladega also has them.

So now I get it, there is no Anniston CMP 600 yard range, it is a store which apparently has an air gun range and OP was actually referring to Talladega CMP.

Back
Top Bottom