• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anybody hunt with a .303?

Pretty much all I hunt with right now.

My hunting location only allows shots out to about 100 yards or so...

I also primarily use the Remington Core-Lokt 180 grain rounds.

Excellent info, thanks. I'll check that ammo out. I got this gun in trade and planned on trading it away until I shot it. Now it's here to stay. I was so impressed with it thathttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbkcIwnjqKM&sns=em I have decided to swap from a Mosin M44 to an Enfield. Accuracy and recoil are much better.

May be late to chime in, but...

I've used the 303 with good luck for a few years. I hand load, and don't push the pressures up on the old rifles, trying to keep most loads around 2000-2200 fps.

I've used the No 4 MkII, and the No 5. The places I hunt with the Enfields are notorious for scrub, so I've used bigger bullets.

This year I started handloading with Woodleigh 215 grain round nose bullets. I've zeroed both the rifle and carbine at 100 yards (scope on the rifle, iron sights on the carbine), and using a "bullet drop" calculator know that at 150 yards the rifle should be about 2.25" low and the carbine 2.75" low. At 200 yrads the rifle would be 6.6" low and the carbine 7.6" low. That's with 38 Grains of Varget, which is one of the powders recommended by Woodleigh, and should be close to 2200fps.

I haven't had to make a shot longer than 85 yards this year, and the Woodleighs really punch through the brush. They also really punch through the deer. I've had two that broke both the near and off shoulders when hit.

Lastly, the No 5 carbine does have much more noticeable recoil, and noise, when fired. But it's a great brush gun. Probably do well with hogs.

Back
Top Bottom