• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anybody shot the 30 Rem AR caliber.

Lumberman

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
38   0
Reaction score
Who knows anything about this caliber. Saw an ad for a Rem R-15 and thought it was a good deal when I noticed it was chambered for 30 Rem AR. Neat looking round. How long has it been out. Will it find it's way into an already crowded market.

Last edited:
I dont think it'll take off. I my money would stick with one of the standard hunting or military calibers just for ammo availability. If I absolutely had to have a .30 cal AR that wasnt a .308 I think a 7.62X39 would be the way to go.

It hasn't been out long from what I have seen, yet to see it in any store local to me while I have seen the 300 blackout as well as on rare occasions a 300 Whisper. Smart money is on the 300 Blackout taking off, though that is because the has great marketing, something that even the 300 Whisper has over the 30Rem. That said, if it were me I would honestly go with the 300 Whisper since I believe you can use 5.56 brass resized to make rounds, the 300 Blackout though doesn't impress me, main idea was to mimic 7.62X39 ballistics which to me would have been better served by redesigning mags that run the round better in an AR then a new round, but that is me and I like cheap and bulk ammo for practice.

You use 223 brass to make 300 BLK..
http://300aacblackout.com/

REASONS 7.62x39 wAS NOT CONSIDERED
Extreme cartridge taper
• Reduces reliability of feeding in AR Magazines
• Reduces Magazine capacity
• Cartridge taper induces considerably higher bolt thrust-
exacerbating the AR Bolt's weaknesses
• Requires a larger Bolt Face which reduces Bolt Locking Lug strength-
Limited projectile selection
• 0.311" diameter not a common option in most modern bullets

Last edited:
You use 223 brass to make 300 BLK..
http://300aacblackout.com/

REASONS 7.62x39 wAS NOT CONSIDERED
Extreme cartridge taper
• Reduces reliability of feeding in AR Magazines
• Reduces Magazine capacity
• Cartridge taper induces considerably higher bolt thrust-
• Requires a larger Bolt Face which reduces Bolt Locking Lug strength-
Limited projectile selection
• 0.311" diameter not a common option in most modern bullets

Still think mimicing the ballistics of the 7.62X39 isn't all that impressive which has been my main issue with the cartridge since I first saw it. For the amount they want for one of their uppers I would put money down for a .308 AR10.

Back
Top Bottom