• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone build an AK from a kit?

Radar363

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
Like the title says, I was looking at a build kit that's on sale and know there is more to building an AK than an AR but wondered if anyone local can share their experience.
It's a de-milled Polish under folder that includes everything but the barrel and receiver, and I know I'll have to add a number of US made parts to make it compliant.

JJ industires is just down the road from from dobbs. He does AK building for 250 IIRC
He has a thread somewhere on here
As for doing it yourself it is a very labor intensive process and requires a lot of tooling

From what very little I know you will need to most likely get your receiver from Nodak. All the good builds I've seen used them. And you have to be good with rivets. I don't think that I would try to build one or even bend a receiver flat unless parts kits were crazy cheap or I was building saome rare hard to find variant. But that's just me.

I built a Cobray M12 in 380 back around Crime Bill Gun Ban time in 94 from a stamped out receiver flat. I went to half a dozen fab shops before I found one with the right type of brake to bend that flat into a little channel and weld it at the rear.

I learn building them by watching videos
Did the same thing. Then went to Akbuilder.com and bought the tools. I built these on 80% flats. Always wanted a yugo underfolder, good luck finding one as good as mine. Mine is all original kit, no cut barrel. Other is an ak74. I also parkerized both as well.
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_12_20_f25f739a1e02ac8ea15e726d97969fd9.jpg

I've built a few. At the current cost level there isn't a lot of incentive for a new builder. I mean when you figure in the cost for tools, new barrel and a receiver its pretty expensive. If its something you really want to do, I have a number of videos on youtube that will walk you through the process.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ginsboy2003

I've built a few. At the current cost level there isn't a lot of incentive for a new builder. I mean when you figure in the cost for tools, new barrel and a receiver its pretty expensive. If its something you really want to do, I have a number of videos on youtube that will walk you through the process.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ginsboy2003
I put that on hold for now. I was mostly interested in doing it because someone had a decent quality kit really, really cheap.
Maybe someday.

Back
Top Bottom