• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone carry on aboat around saltwater?

I hear ya. Nice that you're going to Fort Desoto. Gorgeous area. I have a beach house in Clearwater and every summer I go out to Fort Desoto. Here are some pics from last year. Launched TheShrimp from Fort Desoto and made it out to Egmont Key. Check that place out while you're there.

I've upgraded boat for this year from an Achilies (as shown below) to the Zodiac (above). Both Hypalon boats. The new Zodiac is 12ft vs the old 10ft. Powered by 25hp yamaha vs 9.9 yamaha. Top speed on the new one is 34mph vs 21mph. Air floor vs Aluminum Hull. Its an adventure boat that you just beach wherever. Really opens up opportunities for adventures drastically, we're in love with these boats. The main criteria for the new boat was it still had to be manageable in weight. Luckly yamaha released the first portable class 25hp (127lb). Mated it to a 12foot Aluminum hull Zodiac (110lb) with 6gallon tank. The total weight of the old rig was 185lbs (motor, boat and fuel). New boat is 270lbs (motor, boat and fuel) which is still manageable, but is leaps and bounds more capable than the old boat. The new one is the perfect setup, we're not going to change a thing. Both the old boat and the new boat has been the best money (5K old boat, 9K new boat) I have spent. Highly recommend them. As I told the GF, its not the size of your Shrimp that matters, it's how you work it.

View attachment 4339696

View attachment 4339697

View attachment 4339698

View attachment 4339699View attachment 4339700
View attachment 4339701

View attachment 4339707
View attachment 4339708

Old Shrimp
View attachment 4339713

New Shrimp
View attachment 4339714

View attachment 4339746
I have a boat with a 15 on it listed on otd, but I'm about to retract that. I also have a starcraft bow rider, but I don't tow them out of town since I tow my camper. I rent boats when I travel, and we booked this Osprey in Crystal Springs to go out and snorkel and swim the gulf once we get there. Scalloped out there last July. Desoto is going to be a vacation for the wife and kids but work for me. I hope I get to enjoy it in the evenings and early mornings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220529-163441_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20220529-163441_Messenger.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 11
Unfortunately not. However, I used a 7LB deer neck as bait that I bagged last year. I though I might find the fisherman secrets to catching all the crab. Moved the trap every other day to a new location. Nothing. Neighboring crab traps I saw had caught crab, but they were probably using bait fish or maybe chicken. So yeah, don't use deer to catch crab.

It's gorgeous on Cumberland island. Def worth a trip if you've never been. I go every spring. How about that scenic pic? That was a cellphone pic, but look like a pro did it. Cumberland's natural beauty did all the work. Didn't need a fancy camera.

View attachment 4338759
View attachment 4338760
View attachment 4338790
View attachment 4338761
Use donuts next time. And awesome pics man. Looks like a hell of a time.

TheSnail TheSnail which model Zodiac is that? Thanks

It's a Hypalon Zodiac 360 Aluminum Rib. I highly recommend it. I spent at least 100hrs researching which boat and motor setup to upgrade from the old all inflatable smaller boat. The new boat is the best balance of performance while still being light enough that 1 person can drag it on to shore. Weight for the boat and motor without fuel is 238lbs. Pretty astonishing weight figure for its capabilities, which is why the coast guard uses them. We even go tubing with it. Top speed is 34mph with just me in it, and 32mph with me, GF and gear in it. Fuel economy is about 2gph wide open. If you were just puttering around the lake, fishing, the 6 gallon tank would last the entire day which is silly cheap operation cost for a boat. With the aluminum trailer the entire two weigh is about 600lbs, so towing fuel economy drops only 5-7% mostly due to wind resistance.

The outboard is a Yamaha F25, which came out in 2017 and has won all sorts of awards. Very sought after. It's about 30lbs lighter then anything in is 25hp class, which is huge. It is the only 25hp that is in the portable class. Its a 4 stroke at a 2 stoke weight, with more torque than a 2 stroke. I got the F25SMHC variant which is the most basic pull start 15" version which is also the lightest at 126lbs and cheapest.

I got the boat and the last boat from Defender. They are a pleasure to work with and have very good deals. I bought both boats on sale as they were both the previous year model. This boat is a 2020 and I bought it at a deep 30% discount in 2021. The outboard was in very high demand, so finding one was mainly finding someone that had it in stock without an dealer markup. I'm real happy with the outboard as well. It is EFI so it starts on the first pull and is quieter than the Yamaha 9.9. Both outboard and boat were delivered on a pallet. Only took a couple of hours to go from two boxes to a running boat.

Long story short, I highly recommend it both boat an motor models. If a tree fell on mine, I would buy the very same setup again without question.

360.JPG
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
Shrimp-2 Day -1.jpg
20210605_101802.jpg
20210605_105859.jpg
20210605_130526.jpg
20210606_005219.jpg

I just got back from a week long trip on Cumberland island. Camped out in the remote areas using my Zodiac boat to get there. Plenty of salt water spray riding around on that boat. Plus I gave crab trapping a go while out there. Anyways, I had a Glock OWB, and my preventative maintenance was and always is Eezox. Like RedHot, I put that shi+ on everything. Probably the best corrosion prohibiting gun oil in existence. Every single gun in my 500K gun collection is coated with Eezox. Heck, I sprayed down the outboard, trailer and hitch with Eezox before I left 2weeks ago. I literally put it on everything metal and coat even the plastic bits.
Having trouble envisioning 500,000 guns. Do you have a climate controlled hangar to store/display them?

I dont so the beach thing but I would imagine anything drowning in oil should be fine. Cerakote on the slide would help as well. Keep it wiped down. It's humid ga summers dialed to 11

Back
Top Bottom