• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone finish off a deer near....

10thmountain

Default rank 5000+ posts
American Warhorse.
121   0
Reaction score
Any one get a deer that had been wounded? Near Rome/silver creek this morning? It was mine yer welcome. ( I hit it with a slug and no blood trail, dang thing rolled and I thought it was a goner but no such luck.)

hope you find it! keep lookin! worst feeling is loosing a deer you know you hit good. I remember as a kid my dad hitting a nice 8 pointer broadside with a .308 rem core-lock, it knocked it down, stunned him, then got up a few seconds later and run off. all we could find was 3 damn blood drops right where he was shot. we spent the rest of the weekend trying to track him down, never did find him! and that's why to this day, I will never hunt with core-loks again lol.

Curious, did the deer run up hill?

Seems that deer don't bleed much if they run up hill.

I've heard this from others and it happened to me yesterday.............I hit the doe and it ran up the next ridge uphill about 50 yards and I never saw a drip of blood until about 10'yards from where she lay then I saw mega puddles on the ground.

hope you find it! keep lookin! worst feeling is loosing a deer you know you hit good. I remember as a kid my dad hitting a nice 8 pointer broadside with a .308 rem core-lock, it knocked it down, stunned him, then got up a few seconds later and run off. all we could find was 3 damn blood drops right where he was shot. we spent the rest of the weekend trying to track him down, never did find him! and that's why to this day, I will never hunt with core-loks again lol.

Same thing happened to me my first year hunting as an adult. Shot a doe with a .280, knocked it over, rolled, got up and hauled ass. Never found it. Found a little bit of blood..pulled the trigger held on the shoulder aiming at the vitals.

Hopefully you find your deer, or someone did! Shooting an animal and not finding it is a miserable feeling!

Several years back I had a buck chase a doe out into a clearing, shot him, he went down, made a sound like a calf bawling I had never had one make before, swung to the doe as I worked the bolt, shot her, she dropped. Looked back to where the buck had been and he was gone. Found a drop of blood where he had been about the size of a quarter, nothing else, looked for about 3 hours.
The next week walking into camp my buddy had a good little buck hanging on the pole. He came up and said " I think you blew a chunk out of him last week". 117 grain 26-06 had entered between the spine and lungs, blew out a chunk of loin about the size of a bar of soap. It had started to heal over and the buck was chasing another doe when he shot him.

Back
Top Bottom