Anyone getting ready for Primitive/Black Powder Deer season yet?

10thmountain

Default rank 5000+ posts
American Warhorse.
121   0
Reaction score
I am going to be fine tuning my .50 cal HAWKEN here in the next 60 days. I am so ready for this upcoming season.

What is you muzzle loader set up?

Sticks and Strings set up?

Whereabouts are you hunting this year? ( don't give away the honey hole)

The second week of October is coming up fast, So is September Archery season.

Shoot em straight!

This year is my first year I will give muzzleloaders a try. I purchased a cva optima v2 and I cant wait to go and shoot it and hopefully go out and try my luck with it. I will probably have to do some hunting in south ga because up here there is no muzzleloader gap on the wma's I go to. Seems like we are neighbors which areas will you be hunting?

image.jpeg

I've got a TC Encore in .50. Used it on the Ossabaw Island hunt I was drawn for a few years back. Dropped two does within 10 minutes of each other. Spent the rest of the weekend chasing hogs.

Might dust it off and hunt this season with it.... Love the cloud of smoke. Ha

This year is my first year I will give muzzleloaders a try. I purchased a cva optima v2 and I cant wait to go and shoot it and hopefully go out and try my luck with it. I will probably have to do some hunting in south ga because up here there is no muzzleloader gap on the wma's I go to. Seems like we are neighbors which areas will you be hunting?
I will be hunting private property in Floyd county. Have you shot the optima? I have been looking at that rifle for two years!

T/C Encore pro hunter .50, Matthews switchback. Do my hunting in Meriwhether, going down tomorrow to put up some trail cams and start taking inventory, lol. I'll be shooting some arrows here regularly pretty soon. Too lazy to shoot the bow all year long like I should.

My .50 Hawken will have to stay on the wall, I can't see the sights sharp enough to feel good about hunting with it anymore.

But I ain't quitting!
A couple of years ago I picked up an inexpensive in-line with a scope from someone here.
I'm adapting!

I'm really impressed with how accurate it is.
With a 385gr bullet and 85gr of FFF in the Hawken at 100 yards, if I could hit a paper plate I was good to go.
This gun with 2 of those 50gr pellets and a 250gr sabot will hold a 3" group at the same distance for the first 3 or 4 rounds.
It's clearly more accurate and I'm comfortable shooing at a deer with it.

I'll miss the Hawken, but as you get older you have to adapt.

I will be hunting private property in Floyd county. Have you shot the optima? I have been looking at that rifle for two years!

I have not yet I am waiting for the season to get closer in order to recheck the scopes on the rifles I plan on hunting with. I have not put a scope on the optima I will probably use the iron sights this season.

Back
Top Bottom