• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone has experience with American Bulldogs?

borvix

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
117   0
Reaction score
I'm considering getting American Bulldog, absolutely NOT a so called "american bully", of that "performance " or Scott type, are they calm or crazy?, very aggressive?, do they shed too much like some sources claim? I can't find much info I can trust on them. Anyone who actually owns them would spend few minutes to describe and share experiences, please?

I've got a mutt who is almost half american bulldog so I'm not sure the info will be super helpful, but my experience with her has been as follows. She is really good about matching energy. If we're being lazy and laying on the couch reading, she'll cuddle up with us and chill. If we take her to the dog park or hiking, she's 100mph. Very little prey drive. She does shed a lot. But we run the roomba once a day and it's fine. She's not aggressive at all. Very docile. She only barks when she wants something or sees something. She's deaf, so there's that. All in all a wonderful dog. Two young girls, she's great with them....tolerates a lot!

My son had one once. Was a pretty good dog but also shedded a whole lot. I personally wouldn’t have wanted to deal with him as an inside dog

I have had and been around many American bulldogs. I love them. My parents and brother have had them. We have had Scott type, Johnson, Scott/Johnson Hybrids, and 1 Painter. The Scotts typically have more energy and drive while the Johnson typically is heavier and lazy. The (2) I have currently are hybrids and one seems to be more like a Johnson and the other has more Scott traits. Diesel my male is a big teddy bear and Molly my female also craves attention and both want to be with you or the family all the time. They both are very smart and are house trained but do spend a lot of time outside during the day. I'm not a fan of the shedding but it is a something you just have to keep up with. A lot of the American Bulldogs I have been around were Scotts. My father had one he would have never sold for any price. He was smart, protective of the family but was not aggressive towards non family but was always watching just to make sure. Was not aggressive towards other dogs unless they approached the family. Our dogs have a very loving home and I think that really has the biggest impact on how any dog acts or behaves. I attached a photo of my male, female, and our 1st litter of puppies. The only American that I ever had that was ever an issue was a Painter. She was a loving, protective, and fun dog with her only issue was she wound up being way to aggressive towards other dogs. Which was a trait that I was not fond of. She loved my daughter and would get up and jump on the trampoline with her and follow her every move but just did not like any other dog in her yard or around her family. I never bought another in the Painter line.

Attachments

• Diesel.jpeg
    Diesel.jpeg
    438.7 KB · Views: 38
  • molly.jpeg
    molly.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 30
  • puppies.jpg
    puppies.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 32
So I've had two, one full blooded one mix. Very sweet, very protective, and great around the house, kids and our other pets, including a cat. However, they seemed to be overly aggressive/protective of dogs they didn't know. And it made it difficult for me to take them out on walks, etc due to that fact. Could have just been mine though, but my Lab is the opposite, he loves everyone and everything.

In every man's life there is that one particular dog that stands out from the rest and holds a special place in his heart. In my case that was my American Bulldog "Thor". Big, dumb but as lovable any creature could be.
My wife always said I cared more about that dog than I did her...:rolleyes:
He's been gone for over 3 decades but I still miss him and keep his picture on my desk....right next to my wife's.
20230221_091354.jpg

gentlemen, thanks for everyone's input, do they all really are heavy shedders? I've been reading that even if you just pet them casually they lose hair like crazy?

Back
Top Bottom