• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone has experience with American Bulldogs?

Man, I wish I still had mine. We had to put her down a couple months ago, sadly. I rescued her at 1 year old (estimated by rescue) and had her almost 10 years. She was with me before I got married, when all 3 kids came along, and was just an amazingly sweet girl. At the end, she started acting really out of character and the vet thinks she may have had dementia, but with three young kids in the home, it was unfortunately not a risk we could take. I still carry some guilt about that decision but it's what the vet thought was best considering her age, etc.

Get the dog, man.

puppy23.jpg

Attachments

• puppy 1.jpeg
    puppy 1.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 5
  • puppy22.jpg
    puppy22.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 5
  • puppy23.jpg
    puppy23.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 6
  • puppy24.jpg
    puppy24.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 9
Man, I wish I still had mine. We had to put her down a couple months ago, sadly. I rescued her at 1 year old (estimated by rescue) and had her almost 10 years. She was with me before I got married, when all 3 kids came along, and was just an amazingly sweet girl. At the end, she started acting really out of character and the vet thinks she may have had dementia, but with three young kids in the home, it was unfortunately not a risk we could take. I still carry some guilt about that decision but it's what the vet thought was best considering her age, etc.

Get the dog, man.
You did the right thing. And I hugely empathize with you, and I think from what you described, your dog probably was about to pass, become loosing some of its perception, couldn't clear identify source of danger and acting out of it. Just get another dog puppy.

You did the right thing. And I hugely empathize with you, and I think from what you described, your dog probably was about to pass, become loosing some of its perception, couldn't clear identify source of danger and acting out of it. Just get another dog puppy.
I think so. She had a good run, and I take some solace knowing we gave her about as much love as a dog could get for those years. We have a 1 year old German Shepherd now, and are looking at possibly rescuing a second dog once we finish our home renos. We just have to be careful, or between my wife and I will end up with 20 dogs. 😂😂

I think so. She had a good run, and I take some solace knowing we gave her about as much love as a dog could get for those years. We have a 1 year old German Shepherd now, and are looking at possibly rescuing a second dog once we finish our home renos. We just have to be careful, or between my wife and I will end up with 20 dogs. 😂😂

you have a big and kind heart, kinder than mine. I never adopt, I get very very young puppy and have as much control over what it grows into as possible. I have plenty experience about training dogs, but don't feel confident about training after fixing someone else's failures, and adopting usually means getting "fixed" animals and I don't like that (it's good for controlling dog population, but not for the dog), and I love getting puppy, you know it's going to be grown up all the time, and he's puppy just once.

That's the route we went with our Shepherd, got her young, and it's been insane watching her grow and learn. I am a LOT more picky about rescues now, between the kids, our two cats, and not being a single dog home. My American Bulldog had several issues I had to work through with her when I adopted her- she had been used as a bait dog, had been beat severely at some point, and it took a long time to earn her trust, and did NOT like riding in vehicles. The vehicle thing never changed, but the others did.

I LOVE the puppy stage though, even with all the house training challenges. 😂😂

Well different songs for different folks. If you read my message my assessment of a dog is functional not facial. As I said it's not a dog I'm interested in, anyways, I initiated post about Amerian Buldogs, I have no interest in "bullies". And if you insist, don't show me just a head , show the entire dog standing and videos of its's running? Can it swim, jump barriers, crawl, bark stop and sit and wait and all of it by command? Every "bully " I saw walks like pregnant alligator .
And yes, I do not find the dog attractive.
Chill brother. Whatever you like is fine with me.

You can find Staffordshire's that won't set off alarm bells. My old dog Max was mostly Staffy according to his DNA test, but was a variant that looks more like a Chocolate Lab. It's pretty rare I guess, but I never had anyone guess he was a terrier unless I told them.

After he passed last year I got an American Bulldog-Staffy-Pit mix who was rescued from a dogfighting ring in Puerto Rico and shipped here for heartworm treatment. You can see the scars on his back where they poured hot oil on him to mark him as a bait dog in the pit.

But even after all that, he is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever had. He's great with people and his biggest issue with other dogs is trying to hump them. He doesn't seem to know he's got no nuts...

As mentioned above, he adjusts his energy to match the folks around him. If his people are chilling he'll be happy to snooze, but if something's going on he's up and at it. Off and full seem to be his two speeds.

And yes, he sheds a lot. But again, as mentioned, a Roomba does a great job in knocking it back a bit.

Attachments

• Max1.jpg
    Max1.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Alfie.JPG
    Alfie.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom