• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone hunt with a semi-auto handgun?

Porter Rockwell

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
93   0
Reaction score
I know there are plenty of deer capable revolvers out there 44 magnum and up... But do any of you guys hunt with a Semi- if so what caliber 10mm? A wildcat? Also what has your success been? I want a good clean effective and efficient kill.

10mm Glocks will do the job, but anything less than that would not be very ethical in my opinion.

I prefer to use a rifle though. The energy in a .308 rifle round (2.740 ft pounds) is far more than a 10 MM (420 Ft Pounds).

I've got a glock 20 and it does good . I don't try shots passed 50 yards and shot placement as with any round is what's important for humane kill. Never had to shoot one twice.

Subscribed for comments. I have a Smith 1006 and a Glock 21 with a Lone Wolf 460 Rowland drop in barrel. I'd love to try to take a deer with either one of them but as DMGun mentioned I'm more inclined to hunt with a rifle...at least until after the rut.

If you can place your shots where intended, even a 9mm is good enough.
My USP Compact .357sig with Underwood 125gr fmj or S&B 140gr fmj has blasted through 28" of buck (at a 3/4 angle, in though the right side ribs, out through the left shoulder)

If you can place your shots where intended, even a 9mm is good enough.
My USP Compact .357sig with Underwood 125gr fmj or S&B 140gr fmj has blasted through 28" of buck (at a 3/4 angle, in though the right side ribs, out through the left shoulder)
Yeah the ballistics on the 357 sig are pretty impressive. Did you drop him or did he decide to run?

Yeah the ballistics on the 357 sig are pretty impressive. Did you drop him or did he decide to run?
Dropped like a rock. 165lb buck at about 30yds.
Tested it on a few hogs multiple times which I took down with my 7mm wby also, and confirmed complete pass through from the side, through shoulders or guts on 200lb hogs. 9mm Fiocchi 158gr fmj almost made it through out of a Kahr K9, might go straight through out of a Glock 17 or Beretta 92.
And for those who think they need a .44mag minimum on black bear; bull****. Same results for the .357sig with pass through on a 260lb bear

Back
Top Bottom