• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone hunt with a semi-auto handgun?

Dropped like a rock. 165lb buck at about 30yds.
Tested it on a few hogs multiple times which I took down with my 7mm wby also, and confirmed complete pass through from the side, through shoulders or guts on 200lb hogs. 9mm Fiocchi 158gr fmj almost made it through out of a Kahr K9, might go straight through out of a Glock 17 or Beretta 92.
And for those who think they need a .44mag minimum on black bear; bull****. Same results for the .357sig with pass through on a 260lb bear
I've never understood why the 357 sig isn't more popular certainly as a defense round but haven't thought about it as a hunting round. I guess looking at the published ballistics I shouldn't be surprised.

It's definitely not an "ideal" hunting cartridge, but a very capable one at close range. Keep in mind that my USPC has the factory 3.58" barrel. I think LW makes a 9" barrel for the Glock 31, so that would bring it up to 1900+fps with Underwood 125gr (which is comparable to some rifles but with a .355 bullet)
Obviously I prefer a high power rifle to be certain it will go down, but my curiousity made me try the .357sig at close range since the opportunity came up unexpectedly and I had to see for myself if it would go down.

[QUOTE="Porter Rockwell, post: 5151897, member: 36966" I want a good clean effective and efficient kill.[/QUOTE]

??? Then why not use a .30 cal rifle??? It's kind of known for that.
I have some really good shooting plenty powerful autos but just not comfortable enough with them to try and turn a deer off like a switch with them. Shot placement becomes even more critical when power factor goes down to non magnum handgun calibers. Personally I figure I owe the deer more than that.
I have shot a couple inside of 50 yards with an 8 3/8" .357 mag revolver while rifle hunting and they drop like a sack of hammers. I do call my 8 3/8" revolver my "pocket rifle" though. It'll consistently put 8 rounds into a 3" orange target dot at 50 yards when propped up.

Want to handgun hunt ? Get a hunting handgun. You can probably find a decent 8" Taurus .357 or 44 for around $400. It may not hold it's value and it may break but it's not like a life or death dependability issue.

Last edited:
I will be taking my new G40 with me this year in case a deer gets within 50 yards of me. I'd like to shoot a deer with the 10mm but I will have my rifle for that long shot.

Reactions: dsp
I carry my .45 1911 commander with me as a back up but I only use hollow points in it because I shot a wounded doe point blank in the skull and it bounced off with a fmj.....twice.
Finally I jammed a knife to the base of the skull.

This thread is amusing, I had a crusty older guy give me crap last year about hunting with a 7.62x39 CZ527. He said that round was too weak to be an effective deer killer.

Back
Top Bottom