Anyone in construction sales here?

BIBM502

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
106   0
Reaction score
I've been self employed for the last 11 years and looking for a position in construction sales in the New year.
I have a few good leads already but wanted to see what you guys do and if you could point me in the direction of some quality work.
Looking for something heavily commission based and hours that won't have my kids forgetting what I look like!

Did it for 20+ years for what it is worth

1) Make sure that you are selling service not price. It takes a while to build your base but if you get a customer on price alone they will leave you for the same from someone else. If you build a relationship, as long as you dont know their wifes or daughters it could be yours until you screw up
2) play the long game. Ask to bid future projects and if you are lucky there is an estimator in the office that knows what they are doing And vendors that will honor pricing with the customary increases till the project starts. The work you will try to get in the beginning was contracted 6 months ago. You cant get it unless someone screws up beyond what is reasonable. Get used to hearing NO but keep bidding. Everyone screws up eventually and be the one that has been after their buisness the longest.
3) Make sure the company will back you. Even if you screw up and don't turn in a order in time, find a way to make it happen. If you promise it one way or another it will happen even if they have to stay late on a Friday night to another 6 windows on your truck at 6:00 of a Friday night and you fight 2 more hours of traffic do make the 3rd delivery.
4) make sure they pay. If they don't you are working for free. If they have been around for a while, you won't offend them by saying you are their salesman not their banker and if you provide the service you expect to get paid in a timely fashion.

I am still in the industry but a sole proprietor with a niche service and still employ the same. If a customer says I need a favor it will happen and I have them till I cant take care of them.

Back
Top Bottom