Anyone use a TC Contender (handgun) for hunting?

I use a 14 inch 30-30 with iron sights. I have a 2.5X burris, but have never mounted it. I know some of the manuals have Contender specific loads, but if you can't get the bullet you want it won't do any good. I know many of the 30-30 Contender loads actually use a 125 grain bullet.
My father left me a whole slew of molds for casting lead projectiles. I know there will be the peeps who say lead isn't good for rifle rounds, but when used with a gas check you would be amazed. There are so many molds he had that I haven't even the ideal of the count. When I get back to casting I will check on some of the .30 cal for you Geaux. T.may...I've got some 30-30 rounds that we loaded specifically for the Contender barrels...they work excellently in the 14 & 12" bbls.
I love my Contender, wouldn't part with it for the world....just wish I had more barrels ! Lol

Geaux, my .44 is a 10"....(sorry I didn't see your post til now) :)

Last edited:
used to have one in 30-30, 222,44 and 22 all 14" barrels shot them but never hunted with them... traded them all for a 11.5 stainless super black hawk with a 2x Leupold and holster

^^^ Sure post 'em up if you can.

Another question, I'm now out of what was a .30 cal Hornady PISTOL HUNTING bullet (won't venture a guess as to how old they were but at least 20 years) that is no longer manufactured. I can't seem to find a .30 caliber PISTOL hunting bullet (for the lower velocity expansion). Anyone know of one/some?

I use 125grn Serria SSP for my 30-30 loads. I believe it is #2120 or maybe #2150 (not where I see the box at the moment). According to the load manual it is designed for single shot pistols and will expand properly when fired from the T/C.

This thread has really made me want to pull my Contender back out and work more with it! It's funny how things will reignite your interest in something you haven't worked with in a while.

Geaux,

My go-to .30 caliber bullet for my .30 Contenders is a 150 grain Nosler BT. It expands well at .30 Herrett/.30-30 velocities out to 200 yards.

I use 120 grain Nosler BTs in my 7mm handguns, with the exception of my 7 Mauser Encore, which gets 140 grain BTs.

Here are the entrance and exit wounds from the 120 grain BTs on a little 6-point buck shot at 78 yards using a 7TCU with a muzzle velocity just over 2200 FPS. The few that I have shot with the .30 caliber BTs were pretty much the same.

Entrance:

i152.photobucket.com_albums_s192_HandgunHTR_Hunting_PB260384.jpg

Exit:

i152.photobucket.com_albums_s192_HandgunHTR_Hunting_PB260385.jpg

Back
Top Bottom