• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AR-15 pistol lower must be marked "pistol"

I'm curious as to the need for it to be marked pistol.

Transferred as a pistol or "other" on the 4473.. for sure I understand that. But marked? Never heard of the need.

You can buy or do what you like. The receiver becomes a pistol or a rifle when the first barrel is attached.

A pistol can become a rifle and go back to being a pistol, however a rifle cannot become a pistol. The markings are irrelevant.

Thanks for the info.I knew my lower had never had pistol on it and I am close to finishing the build.BCG and charging handle and away we go.

You can buy or do what you like. The receiver becomes a pistol or a rifle when the first barrel is attached.

A pistol can become a rifle and go back to being a pistol, however a rifle cannot become a pistol. The markings are irrelevant.
That's not 100% accurate.

You transfer a lower as a rifle and put a 10" barrel on it.. and the ATF catches wind.. You'll have some issues.

But that's counting on a) them gaining an interest in your firearm and b) a reason to pull the 4473.

Unlikely. For sure.

And more than likely... a more serious crime had already occurred to spur the intetest.

That's not 100% accurate.

You transfer a lower as a rifle and put a 10" barrel on it.. and the ATF catches wind.. You'll have some issues.

But that's counting on a) them gaining an interest in your firearm and b) a reason to pull the 4473.

Unlikely. For sure.

And more than likely... a more serious crime had already occurred to spur the intetest.
You mean IF it was transferred as a rifle. If it was purchased as a stripped lower, the first barrel on it is the determining factor.

The way I understand it, the receiver becomes a rifle when the stock is added. A stripped lower should transfer as "other" on the 4473 and a complete lower with a stock I believe transfers as a rifle.

Back
Top Bottom