AR sights or No sights?

Unless you're considering KAC irons, there's not an optic worth owning for a serious use AR15 that is in the same price range as iron sights. So, if you have $400 to spend, buy an Aimpoint PRO and get irons later. If you have less than that to spend, buy some quality iron sights. For fixed, the Daniel Defense's are good and a good value. For folding, Troy, KAC, MBUS Pro...I suppose the plastic MBUS's are OK, but wouldn't be a first choice as a primary sighting system.

I agree. Plus with an Aimpoint Pro you can leave it on for three years straight before you change the battery. The argument I have heard is it is best to make sure you are proficient with your irons before you get an optic, that way you can still aim if your optic fails.

Irons first. Glass and electronics break a lot easier than metal or polymer. I have four different configurations of the AR platform and three of them have irons in addition to the optic. The one exception is my long range dedicated beast of a 308.

Last edited:
The Vortex Strikefire is the best bang for your buck in my opinion. They also have a lifetime warranty. I saw one come into my local gun shop beat to death from the guy training. The shop called Vortex and they said give him a new one. You can usually get them for $100.

Depends on what you are going to use it for. Mine right now has only a scope. No room for BUS. Then again, I am not planning on being a low drag operator with it.

I must be confused. Sites on an AR? Aren't you supposed to shoot those from the hip? :D

Damn, John! I thought you were dead.

john.jpg

Last edited:
Red dot and optics x2, red dot only x1, irons only x1. Any gun I would grab in a shtf situation has irons or both. Range toys have whatever I feel like.

Back
Top Bottom