AR15 build help needed

CableguyJJS3

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
37   0
Reaction score
I have an old school style lower that's complete that I'd like to finish assembling. I want to assemble it into a complete piece as a Christmas present for my father and I want to build it into a replica-ish type deal of a Vietnam era M16. He was in the Air Force in the late 60's early 70's and he had one then so want to give him this one back. Now 100% authentic isn't necessary, but similar appearance-wise is the goal here.

I found a place for GI surplus handguards and such, Brownells is having a sale on GI style barrels, where would I look for the rest?? I guess I'd need an upper and all the stuff that goes in it, my apologies at this point, I don't know much about AR-15's. Can anyone point me to a parts list I'd need to get? I haven't bought anything yet so if anyone local has something they'd unload, parts or pieces, that'd be fine as well. I have a buddy in Macon who has built a few of these so he said he'd help me assemble everything, and I have been working on guns since I was a kid, so I really don't want to buy a completed piece. As they say the build is half the fun!! Any and all help is appreciated!! Thanks. Jim

so you would need an A1 upper receiver...check pkfirearms...Fulton armory...cavalry arms (for an A1 stock)...jse surplus has A1 birdcage flash hiders for $6...

If you're REALLY wanting an authentic looking A1 then I'd look for an Armalite or Colt lower as well. A stripped Armalite will be MUCH easier to find (and cheaper). Fast Firearms in Lawrenceville used to keep them in stock.

Don't forget the three-prong flash hider and the slant bottom 20 round mag.

As much as I hate to say it, AR15.COM is a good place to look for old style parts like these. Maybe not the friendliest group of guys but they do have the parts.

viet.jpg

There are original m16 kits available out there. I'd try sarco, or google m16a1 kit. If they're imported kits they won't have a barrel,even though they are us made, exported,and re-imported. Fulton Armory sells 20" pencil profile barrels,I'm sure others do too.

The lower I have is a Bushmaster, so close enough for me I think. I've hit the google hard, seems these parts kits are harder to find than I expected, but they are out there. Lots of places list them, but they are backordered, and a lot of the links I'm finding are a few years old anyways. But thanks for the info guys, I have a good idea what I'm looking for now at least.

Back
Top Bottom