• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR15 Lower receiver assembly guide

Using old mags for a receiver block only works well when a mag catch/button is in the lower. The PSA block is actually very sturdy.

ETA: I forgot to mention that the shoulder on a proper vice block will also protect the receiver when placing it in the vice. You would need to use caution using a magazine as you could possibly scratch or gouge your lower on the bench vice if the mag slips in the vice jaws.

Yes, a solid work surface and vice are always recommended.

As to the Magpul tool, it's over priced. The Tapco wrench I use is solid and I modified to to accept 1/4 drive so I can use my inch lb torque wrench without a 1/4 to 3/8 or 1/4 to 1/2 adapter. It's also compact so I can easily take it with me to the range.

The mag catch is the first thing installed when I build one, so that is not an issue. Also, I got the biggest vice Home Depot sells, and put soft magnetic vice jaw pads on it, so it never slips. You are correct about the Magpul wrench, it is expensive, but the best always is. The other end of it works on the barrel nut.

The mag catch is the first thing installed when I build one, so that is not an issue. Also, I got the biggest vice Home Depot sells, and put soft magnetic vice jaw pads on it, so it never slips. You are correct about the Magpul wrench, it is expensive, but the best always is. The other end of it works on the barrel nut.
I use a USGI barrel nut wrench as I have not had the best of luck with AR armorer combo tools.

I suppose people were using those cheap Amazon ones?

I do like the PRI one I got off of Amazon
Amazon.com : PRI AR-15 Barrel Nut Wrench : Gunsmithing Tools And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_41W27Q1uLlL__SL1500_.jpg

Awesome write up btw!!!

Back
Top Bottom