• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR15 Lowers

darrenmd

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I have finally bought an AR15.... I seem to be searching the net for various configurations and accessories. I see there is a wide range of cost on the brands of the lower. I see even when the lower is stripped...there seems to be a wide range on the cost. I understand the quality factor, but what are the big differences to look for in the lowers? What is the big difference in the bare lowers? Is this the Levi's thing all over?

Not much difference out there in AR lowers besides rollmarks...you will find there is a difference between the standard type lower and a billet lower...and there are polymer lowers out there as well...as long as its made to spec, they're all the same in my opinion...Uppers are where major differences are.

I've built some of the cheap ones like Superior Arms (like $60 when I bought them), I've built PSA lowers, DPMS lowers, Spike's Tactical lowers, and a couple of odd ball names like Ametec and Aero Precision. Really no difference in them. Well, the Spike's lowers were low shelf for a drop in FA trigger group (registered of course, if you can afford to go FA- I can't). And the finish was a little uneven on the Superior lowers- hardly noticeable though.

IMO, you're just paying more for the name on the side. And personally, I'm staying away from polymer ones. Seen a few posts with cracks/breaks around the stock threads- I don't want to save a few bucks that badly.

I was in much the same situation as you are now (a little over 2 months ago). But rather than BUYING one, I decided to build it myself as a bucket-list kind of thing.
I'm not an AR-Guru, but since starting my research, I've built 4 rifles, for differing purposes. Consider me a newb enlightened enough to be dangerous.

I'll echo what others are saying here and clarify a bit. As long as the lower is to spec, you are paying for several things:
1) The brand name -- A Rock River Arms lower is more resalable than jimmy-jack's-backyard special. Also other companies like Spike's Tactical and BCM enjoy a large following of nut-swingers/fanboys/disciples for reasons real and/or imagined.
2) The roll-marks -- This is what is printed on the lower. Factors are brand, serial number, designs, etc. The Spike's Tactical Zombie lower is a good example here.
3) Machining -- how well is the piece machined, de-horned, etc.
4) Finish -- It's black, but is it uniform, even, etc, or is it a 20' paintjob?
5) Availability -- I like Spike's and or rock river stuff and would have bought stuff from them, but you can't hardly FIND them in stock ever, and I refuse to wait 6 months for a mass-produced part.

I did a lot of searching and the cheapest lower I liked, that I could find locally was in the $120 range.
Factoring in the items above, this lead me to these guys: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/lower-receivers.html
They have lots of positive press, the stuff I have bought is top notch, and they tend to have a little bit of something in stock ALWAYS.
So even if I bought one, had it shipped in, paid $20 for the FFL transfer, I was still money ahead on a quality lower. Now I did multiples, so it worked out MUCH better for me.

Hope that helps, as perspective from somebody who recently waded through this as a newbie.

I found this on another thread..... this kinda is what I am stating.... price seems very reasonable...... but I have never heard of them....

New Frontier Armory LW-15 Lower Group Buy?

I would like to get an idea of how many, if any, members would be interested in purchasing a New Frontier Lower. I have 1 batch on order and would like to gauge the interest before submitting another. If you think you may be interested please just post up in this thread so I can get an idea. Please do not PM me as I do not know when they will come in and I am not accepting pre-orders at this time. Thanks.

Price would have to be $109 (MAP) but this will include sales tax

Shipped to your FFL add $10 (maybe as little as $5 but will not know untill I get one to weigh and size)

*Due to some issues with my creidt card processing on direct firearms sales I will only be able to accept credit cards in person. I will not be able to manually key in credit card information over the phone on anything that by law is considered a firearm.

Lower Specs:
New Frontier Armory Model LW-15 Light weight polymer AR-15 Lower
Complete* Lower - ready to pin onto upper and fire!!!
Lightweight – weighs in at 1.6 lbs – That’s 7.2oz lighter than a standard lower
Lightest most durable composite polymer lower on the market today
Low maintenance / easy cleaning / scratch resistant
Accepts all standard MIL SPEC uppers
Features the accu-group composite fire control system
Can accommodate any brand MIL SPEC LPK upgrade
Reversible safety to accommodate left or right hand shooters

I found this on another thread..... this kinda is what I am stating.... price seems very reasonable...... but I have never heard of them....

New Frontier Armory LW-15 Lower Group Buy?

I would like to get an idea of how many, if any, members would be interested in purchasing a New Frontier Lower. I have 1 batch on order and would like to gauge the interest before submitting another. If you think you may be interested please just post up in this thread so I can get an idea. Please do not PM me as I do not know when they will come in and I am not accepting pre-orders at this time. Thanks.

Price would have to be $109 (MAP) but this will include sales tax

Shipped to your FFL add $10 (maybe as little as $5 but will not know untill I get one to weigh and size)

*Due to some issues with my creidt card processing on direct firearms sales I will only be able to accept credit cards in person. I will not be able to manually key in credit card information over the phone on anything that by law is considered a firearm.

Lower Specs:
New Frontier Armory Model LW-15 Light weight polymer AR-15 Lower
Complete* Lower - ready to pin onto upper and fire!!!
Lightweight – weighs in at 1.6 lbs – That’s 7.2oz lighter than a standard lower
Lightest most durable composite polymer lower on the market today
Low maintenance / easy cleaning / scratch resistant
Accepts all standard MIL SPEC uppers
Features the accu-group composite fire control system
Can accommodate any brand MIL SPEC LPK upgrade
Reversible safety to accommodate left or right hand shooters

That is what I have and some others on here, without any issues thus far. Get in contact with Classic City Firearms on here, he is in Athens and can get you that lower or anything else you need

As long as it's milspec, I couldn't care less what name's on it. Most of my AR's are on DTI lowers. Most of mine also have Rock River two stage fire control groups too. You'd never know to look at one just what's inside it? I have Spikes, BM, DPMS, among others, and they all work the same.

A billett lower, one that is milled rather than punched, will generally have closer tolerances and are more rigid and capable of handling more abuse. Again, mil-spec is the way to go!

Back
Top Bottom