• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Are the frames of handguns..

No2sc2

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
37   1
Reaction score
The "firearm" part? I know most guns serials are on the frame but my Walther p99c isn't. The serial is on the slide and no where else... Oh yeah it's on the barrel too..

I was under the impression that the lower receiver (frame) was the firearm, but if the serial is on the slide and barrel... then that would leave me to believe that is "the firearm"

Off to research...

It all depends on where the MFG decides to put the S/N - the part that carries the S/N is the 'firearm' in the eyes of the BATFE.

On AR15s the S/N is on the lower receiver. Most pistols, too. Ruger MK and 22/45 pistols carry the number on the upper receiver / barrel assembly.

There are no hard & fast rules.

Traditionally, it's the lower frame, but there are a few exceptions, like the Sig 250. With that one, only the trigger group is the firearm according to the ATF.

My glocks. Serial is on frame, slide and barrel..My walther p99c, serial is only on slide and barrel.

Only reason I ask is because I have to send my threaded barrel back to the company so they can see what's wrong with it. I included my recoil spring and the slide so they get a good look at the set up. He told me to add ammo too so I don't want to have ammo and firearm in one package.

Only reason I ask is because I have to send my threaded barrel back to the company so they can see what's wrong with it. I included my recoil spring and the slide so they get a good look at the set up. He told me to add ammo too so I don't want to have ammo and firearm in one package.

I think you would be fine, as without the frame it is incapable of firing the ammo.

From research I did, if it is on the frame and other peices, frame is firearm. Otherwise it is whichever part has the S/N#

Oh yeah. Oh well. I don't think its the slide. I think its the frame. I remember I bought a threaded barrel 2 months ago from HKparts and the barrel had a serial number on it.

good question, i had a cz with number on barrel,frame and slide. but most guns its only on the frame form what i notice.

the frame holds most of the moving parts or at least their capability to move so i would say the frame

could also depend on the country of origin and how their laws are that dictate where they have to put eh number on/what makes a firearm/ what make it a firearm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom