• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATF Rule 2021R-05F

I’d like to start a discussion about this new overreach and make sure I am reading it the way a dummy like myself can understand.

I gather:

They will redefine what a firearm is to their liking

Make parts kits and partial components defined as “firearm”

Amends the definition of what a frame and receiver is and what constitutes a “complete muffler or silencer device”

Sounds to me like the rules of the game are about to change and thousands upon thousands of legal gun owners will end up criminals over night.

Please feel free to chime in and let’s discuss what this is going to mean in 3 months.

I think this is ripe for legal challenge, but who will do it?

A non-elected group of bureaucrats rewrote a bunch of definitions. These aren’t laws written by lawmakers.

"Definition of a “frame or receiver” includes a partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver that has reached a stage in manufacture where it may quickly and easily (“readily”) be made to function as a “frame or receiver” and expressly excludes a block of metal, liquid polymers and other raw materials or a frame or receiver that has been destroyed."

The devils in the details. Obviously it applies to 80% receivers. It comes down to the definition of "readily". That will get challenged in court. What is quickly and easily? 2 minutes? 5 minutes? 30 minutes?

"Definition of a “frame or receiver” includes a partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver that has reached a stage in manufacture where it may quickly and easily (“readily”) be made to function as a “frame or receiver” and expressly excludes a block of metal, liquid polymers and other raw materials or a frame or receiver that has been destroyed."

The devils in the details. Obviously it applies to 80% receivers. It comes down to the definition of "readily". That will get challenged in court. What is quickly and easily? 2 minutes? 5 minutes? 30 minutes?

i wonder if this means that ar15 uppers will need to be serialized

I think ATF will now claim that it has the power to declare any one (1) critical component of a gun to be the serialized firearm frame or receiver, but it says it will only do that to one part per gun design so on AR- 15s they will probably say that the lower receiver is STILL the critical part that is the firearm even though it does not hold the gun's barrel or bolt.

For other guns the upper receiver will be the critical component, like has already been declared for the Ruger MK series of 22 rimfire pistols.

In other words, nothing will change except that lawyers for the gun industry won't be able to say that there is no such thing as a firearm frame unless it holds all of the other critical parts to a gun's function,

and if a gun design does not rely on such a single frame that contains everything, ATF 's new rules will cut-off legal arguments that say "This gun is unregulated and outside the scope of the gun control act of 1968."

That's the loophole they're closing now.

i wonder if this means that ar15 uppers will need to be serialized
The way I read it I don't think it applies to uppers but given ATF's penchant for doing as they please who knows. When I dug into the actual document it's more gibberish. Here is their definition of "readily".

The Department proposed to add the term “readily” to 27 CFR 478.11 and 479.11 and define it as “a process that is fairly or reasonably efficient, quick, and easy, but not necessarily the most efficient, speedy, or easy process.” 86 FR at 27730, 27747, 27751. It further listed factors relevant in applying this proposed definition, such as time, ease, expertise, equipment, availability, expense, scope, and feasibility, with brief examples describing these factors.

They cite case law. It's still vague. Here is a link to the document if you enjoy reading legalese.

The easy way to handle this is do away with the myriad of unconstitutional laws that require a "loophole" for us to own, aquire, and manufacture firearms in the first place.

My reading comprehension sucks, but pretty sure this means no serialization for AR uppers.
1653577880366.png

Back
Top Bottom