• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Attention veteran reloaders I have a question!

Like I said in the previous post my 6.8 SPC loads are perfect for the barrels that I have. However my 223 rounds could use a little refinement. So far the best combo I've come up with is 23.5 grs. of Varget under a 69 grain RMR projectile. It's not quite as accurate as I would like but it's sure better than a lot of the other stuff I've tried. I need to try that powder charge on some potentially better projectiles. It could be that the Rocky Mountain reloading pills are just not as accurate as some of the better match projectiles out there.
Sounds like you have a good load. Varget works good in an AR platform. Look at your barrel twist and bullet weight you're using. Get it right and bet accuracy will improve

Sounds like you have a good load. Varget works good in an AR platform. Look at your barrel twist and bullet weight you're using. Get it right and bet accuracy will improve
Well the IMR 8208 XBR is the bomb in my 6.8spcll guns. It will do under 1/2 if I am shooting decent that day. 3/4 or a little better when I am not in the groove.

As for the .223 the Varget it's the best I have tried so far. Shoots in a 1/2 inch circle at 50. I haven't had a chance to go any further because of cold weather. I think we are going this weekend to shoot my new AR-10 build so I will see what the .223 Varget loads do then @ 100 yards. I like the 69 gr. loads it seems like a good middle of the roads weight. I will start digging for better results this spring.

Here is a good read from 1995. Some things may have changed. But, the general theme is that differences exist from one manufacturer to another.

I generally use Magnum Rifle Primers with either Ball/Spherical powders or Magnum Cartridges because I have heard enough older guys with more experience than me say to use them.

I also only run the Magnum or Military primers in the AR with all powders for the same reason, and because the AR firing pin taps the primer of each round as it loads into the chamber.

Some guns just shoot better than others—regardless of the load.

The magic starts with the parts used, then the assembly, then the ammo, finally the sighting system.

Mil-spec accuracy on a AR-15 is 4 in. If I can squeeze my 223 rounds around 1 inch MOA I'll be happy. Most of the .223 loads I am doing now are just load, pack, drop a desiccant bag in and then store. One MOA will suffice for that.

Back
Top Bottom