Attractants and calls do you use them and what works? Real world opinions

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I hunt SE GA and I have never had any luck using any store call or attractant to bring either bucks or does in. Wally world and Gander sell lots of different stuff but I have never had any deer come in to it.

Looking for real world opinions on what actually works.

Do you guys use calls and if you do what works?

What do you use to bring deer in?

Just looking to fill the freezer with meat.

I hunt SE GA and I have never had any luck using any store call or attractant to bring either bucks or does in. Wally world and Gander sell lots of different stuff but I have never had any deer come in to it.

Looking for real world opinions on what actually works.

Do you guys use calls and if you do what works?

What do you use to bring deer in?

Just looking to fill the freezer with meat.

I hunt SW GA and have never had much luck with calls or attractants either. Things I've used that have attracted deer in the past are peanut butter, Big Tine 30-06, molasses, salt/"mineral" blocks, and corn. I've never seen any type or brand of deer scent or urine actually attract anything.

If done at the right time and in the right way, grunting absolutely works. I'm far from expert, but it works. I didn't believe how much so until I turned a 6 pt around in his tracks to come back to it. I usually have at least one deer every season react to it.
Also use Tink's 69, though I couldn't swear by it nearly as confidently.

So nobody has had any luck whatsoever with all of the Walmart or Gander deer calls or attractants?

I guess the people buying them are just suckers. Some places you cannot hunt over bait. Bait as defined by a local Mr. Green Jeans is anything he can place in an evidence bag.

So nobody has had any luck whatsoever with all of the Walmart or Gander deer calls or attractants?

I guess the people buying them are just suckers. Some places you cannot hunt over bait. Bait as defined by a local Mr. Green Jeans is anything he can place in an evidence bag.
Deer calls from Wally world yes. Primos makes great grunt calls and I carry one everytime I go in the woods. I have killed many deer only because I had one and was able to turn them around and get them in bow range. As far as scents go the only one I have have any luck with is this this one. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WHEBVC...qmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7vsvh0ut2s_e

Scents have never really worked for me, but I also don't really use them until after I have killed what I want. I just like to test scents to see how they do, but it is always later in the year and generally after the rut.

Grunts and doe bleats work great for stopping deer, but I have never had much luck bringing deer in with them. But a fawn in distress call will bring them in. I'm also generally using the fawn in distress call later in the year when I'm trying to get some yotes, but if there are deer in the neighborhood, they will respond and generally walk in.

I'm fortunate enough to have a couple of honey holes so I don't really use much to attract deer, but if I didn't have an abundance of deer, then I would probably opt for the fawn in distress call.

Code blue has worked well, natural voice woof, woof, has stopped a bunch of deer, and sometimes a coyote just has to check that woof out and we paid him in full for attending the invitation... 264 Win Mag, 700 HB, 120 gr TTSX

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom