• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Automotive extended warranties

So, I don't work at a dealership anymore, but I will tell you that an extended warranty is only meant to bring in more money to the dealership as an add on cost. Extended warranties are hardly ever used by the consumer because the vehicle typically doesn't experience issues for years after it was built.
Most of the manufacturer warranties that come with the vehicle cover the vehicle for a decent amount of time/miles.
A lot of people think that it is the sales person who will rip them off, but it is really the finance department that trys to upsell tons of stuff, "including extended warranties ".
Not true. We've had coverage on 3 major repairs on the last two vehicles we've had. One repair cost $8600 and our out of pocket deductible was only $250

Not true. We've had coverage on 3 major repairs on the last two vehicles we've had. One repair cost $8600 and our out of pocket deductible was only $250
I think you're one of the few it worked out. I haven't bought an extended warranty but a couple times on cars. I never used it. The last one was by GM. If I didn't use it, I got my money back at the end of the term. I didn't wind up needing it. So it was a win win for me. The only thing I lost out on was the use of a few thousand dollars for a few years. I can't remember how much I paid, probably between one and two thousand. Been twenty some years ago on a $30k something dollar truck. Still have the truck

Pretty sure I paid around $800 for the extended warranty on my Toyota, I’ve already had to use it once and it saved me $300 out of pocket. With all the electronics and extra stuff they put on cars these days, it’s not a bad investment.

I’m about to use it again on my TPMS, the sensors are crazy expensive and so is the programming….

I think you're one of the few it worked out. I haven't bought an extended warranty but a couple times on cars. I never used it. The last one was by GM. If I didn't use it, I got my money back at the end of the term. I didn't wind up needing it. So it was a win win for me. The only thing I lost out on was the use of a few thousand dollars for a few years. I can't remember how much I paid, probably between one and two thousand. Been twenty some years ago on a $30k something dollar truck. Still have the truck
That was the case 20 years ago when new vehicles cost 30k, now trucks cost 50k to 100k , most people will still have a payment long after factory warranty expires, and most people will struggle to make repairs out of pocket and pay their monthly payment. An extended warranty is the way to go. I get discounts on parts and no how to fix my own but I also purchased extended warranty on my wife Jeep and my ram truck.

I always buy, and never regret the extended. I usually re extend it.
Try replacing the computer and related electronics. Thats all these things are.
My truck now is under warranty still at 70000. I renewed it after probably saving fifteen thousand or more on the fist extended. Im still way ahead. New engine was a small deductible.

I purchased the dealer warranty when I bought my last truck. It was a 2020 with about 40k miles on it and still had a little bit of manufacturer warranty left. I always buy used with a little bit of milage on it, but the dealership had an extended bumper to bumper warranty for about $1700. 5 year 100k miles. It's not that much for the peace of mind. As other's said these newer vehicles have so many expensive parts that can crap out on you.

My truck before that, ended up needing some pretty expensive repairs that would have been covered had I gotten a dealer/factory extended warranty which I declined when I bought it. Ford ecoboost that needed turbo o-rings replaced because they crapped out. The warranty could have saved me a couple of Gs.

I purchased the dealer warranty when I bought my last truck. It was a 2020 with about 40k miles on it and still had a little bit of manufacturer warranty left. I always buy used with a little bit of milage on it, but the dealership had an extended bumper to bumper warranty for about $1700. 5 year 100k miles. It's not that much for the peace of mind. As other's said these newer vehicles have so many expensive parts that can crap out on you.

My truck before that, ended up needing some pretty expensive repairs that would have been covered had I gotten a dealer/factory extended warranty which I declined when I bought it. Ford ecoboost that needed turbo o-rings replaced because they crapped out. The warranty could have saved me a couple of Gs.
Ford Ecoboost = You better buy the extended warranty.

I bought a new Dodge in 83. Came with a 5/50000 and I bought factory extended on it. After to original was up nothing was ever covered. Won’t buy another.

Back
Top Bottom