• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Azoom Stuck in Springfield 1911

xurceht

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
6   0
Reaction score
I was doing some dry fire practice when I noticed the A Zoom snap cap I was using was dinged. I loaded it in to see what was going on (mistake one) and then it got stuck! I couldn't even rack the slide. So I started to disassemble it and see if I could get it out (mistake two). After a few minutes I was able to push the slide a little bit so that the snap cap shows now. Now I can't push the slide back into battery!

I've added two attachments to show what it looks like now.

I'm thinking of shipping it back to Springfield. This will be the second time though. The first was for ejection problems which they fixed by replacing the entire slide. I really like this 1911 but man I'm having too many problems with it!

Attachments

• SA1911Azoom1.jpg
    SA1911Azoom1.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 17
  • SA1911Azoom2.jpg
    SA1911Azoom2.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 24
Do you have a full length guide rod? If not, place the bottom of the muzzle on the edge of a table and push down with all your might. Will usually do the trick. No need for snap caps in a1911.

You know what's funny? I used to never use snap caps but I kept hearing about how you need to preserve the firing pin or something.

Unfortunately I do have a full length guide rod. BUT it is a two piece and I took half of it off. Should I still try it? I took out the recoil spring too.

So if I do this and it works...would it be ok to test out the firearm and see if it will cycle a live round or should I wait to go to the range for that? I'm afraid that if it got stuck with a snap cap that it will get stuck with a live round too. I can't imagine it should be any different since I've never had this problem before.

Phew! Ok it did work and I got the snap cap out! The slide was stiff though like it was locked. So what I did was place the sites against the table and push. Now it seems ok. I'm going to take it apart. My guess is a piece of the snap cap is stuck somewhere and is caught between the slide and barrel or slide and frame. After I put it back together I'm going to perform a functions check. If that works I'm going to try and cycle a mag of rounds.

Back
Top Bottom