B.O.B.

Crumley25

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
385   0
Reaction score
In a disaster scenario, It is highly likely you will have to fend for yourself for a minimum of 2-3 days. The idea is to have enough stuff to keep yourself alive for a few days and give you the necessary time and tools to get what you need to survive longer if the need arises. All you really need to do is survive long enough to find more water or food.

Some of you may find this information useful (Some may not), but remember everyone’ssituations are different. There is not a “one size fits all” survival bag.

Weapons

Get one you are comfortable with,and then learn how to use it. Practice, Practice, Practice. Buy extra mags for it and stock them in your bag. Ammo does and will add weight.

When it comes to Knifes, there are many options out there and some great survival knives. My personal choice is the Ka-Bar Becker BK2. It is a great knife for skinning game, chopping small timber. It can handle just about any job you throw at it.

First Aid

Now on the First Aid. This can be as simple as a few band aids and some medication or you could run a complete trauma kit.

The thing to remember here is, if you aren’t prepared to use it or don’t know how to use it there is no reason for you to take it with you.

Food

There are so many options. The average adult will need somewhere around 2000 calories a day to sustain a moderate level of activity.

One option is Mainstay Rations. They come in 3600 calorie packs that have been segmented into 9 – 400 calorie bars. A similar option would be the Datrex Bars.

There is also always the option of MREs. The only drawback of the MRE is they will take up much needed room in your B.O.B.

Water

When thinking about water, the first thing that comes to mind is: What do I keep it in and how to I get good clean water to drink? Sure anyone can pack water with them, but what if you run out? Water is also very heavy at about eight pounds per gallon.

Canteens are cool, but I personally would rather have a Nalgene Bottle.They are virtually indestructible, and also have measurements on the side (good for measuring liquids).

Another option to consider is a water bladder for the bag you currently have, or even a Camelback hydration system.

Water purification. One of the most common filters that I read about going into B.O.B.s is the Katadyn Hiker PRO. Just so you know there are also attachments for Nalgene bottles so that makes this real easy to use and fill up your water bottle. There are also water purification tablets on the market simple open and place in the water.

Fire

Fire is essential in any survival situation. You need it for staying warm, cooking, and even signaling.

A cigarette lighter would be obvious. But you would also want a low tech way of making fire as well.

Matches (In waterproof container)
FireSteel
Manesium/Flint
Etc.

Just to be on the safe side pack acouple of options for making fire. The most important thing here is practice. Building a fire is not as easy as it looks on TV. Practice, Practice, Practice.

You can also carry along in your bag some sort of fire tender

Shelter

A good poncho can keep you dry while hiking, and with a few hacked up branches can make a decent cover for a shelter

Rescue

This is pretty straight forward here GET THEIR ATTENTION.

Daytime:

Fire (Someone can see smoke)
Signaling Mirror
Bright Orange Poncho
Whistle (A must have)

Night:

Flashlight
Glow Stick

Another thing you may want is a Radio Receiver. You can listen for the locations of Medical Assistance.

Other Tools and Necessities

Extra Batteries
Toiletries
Change of clothes
Paracord (tons of uses)
Something to pass the time

Last edited:
Personally, I'd want at least one change of socks in the bag regardless of whether or not you choose to pack a full change of clothes... if you're going to be walking to get from point A to B, do anything you can to take care of your feet.

And a trash bag big enough to put the pack in... preferably black. Sometimes it might be better to be seen carrying a trash bag than a backpack.

Personally, I'd want at least one change of socks in the bag regardless of whether or not you choose to pack a full change of clothes... if you're going to be walking to get from point A to B, do anything you can to take care of your feet.

And a trash bag big enough to put the pack in... preferably black. Sometimes it might be better to be seen carrying a trash bag than a backpack.

I completely agree a change of sock is a must if nothing else. I also agree with the trash bag (Camo) idea.

Like I said each person will have different item these are just some guideline to get started by. Depending on if you live in the city or country your bags will be somewhat different.

Also If you will be leaving on foot or a Vehicle. I know some people that have there Bug out items in RubberMaid Totes. Numbered 1 - 2 - 3- 4 - 5. The number one tote incase the most essential item that is the tote you take first and load into a vehicle. Number 2 is the second tote to be grabbed and so on and so on until you have them all or run out of time. It is also a good idea if you do this to keep smaller bags inside the totes that you can load and take with you if you need to leave on foot for any reason.

Iodine, it's an antiseptic and a water purifier. 5-10 drops per liter, filter it through a fine cloth as you fill the bottle. Lol, not going to taste like Aquafina, but it'll work.

Just as every discussion of bugging out begins/ends with the question?Why?
Why? are we bugging out?
The safest place to be and the best to defend is your own domicile?

Did something happen that makes me have to abandon ship?

I think we all agree that staying put is the best option for a lot of SHTF issues, however, you never know what is going to happen that might drive you to another location (nuclear, mobs in the area, lack of resources such as water, food, etc. in your area are a few off the top of my head). It's about being PREPARED.

I guess technically I don't have a "bug out bag" what I have lives in my truck and is a "get my ass home bag" in case getting in the truck and driving there isn't an option for some reason.

I have a GHB and a BOB. I would stay in my home for as long as I could. Why would I want to go live in a tent and sleep on the ground? I'd much rather have my bed and a roof. My BOB is built for if I HAD TO LEAVE with no option of staying.

Back
Top Bottom