B.O.B.

I agree with everyone, I will be staying in my home until there is a reason for me to leave, and believe me there are several reasons in a disaster situation that would require you to leave.

Just say a Tornado comes through in the middle of the night, You here the sirens moments before it hits your house. All you have time to do is grab a bag and go out the door and take shelter in a ditch. So you survive the storm. When everything is clear, you find your house and vehicle and everything else around is completely distroyed. The power and phone lines are down, cell phone is soaking wet and the closest place for shelter is 2 days walk away. All emergency personal are super busy and they will not be able to have the roads clear and make it to your location for several day. Will you be able to survive?

Canteen vs water bottle: I prefer the canteen for several reasons. The cover mounts readily with ALICE clips on a web belt which also carries a knife, holster and ammo pouch conveniently. The cover has a small pocket on which must be good for SOMETHING. LOL. The canteen cup fits the canteen and provides a great little pot for cooking or boiling water for safety. ANd the canteen is much stronger than a flimsy plastic bottle.

Bugging IN vs Bugging OUT: If I ever have to bug at all I pray it is IN. I can't carry the 6 months food I have at home, spare fuel for camp stove and propane grill, gallons of water, cases of toilet paper, medical supplies etc, etc I have stored at home so bugging OUT would suck VERY hard. But if I HAVE to go I have a bag for that. Just as I have bags in my truck and my wife's car for getting home(GHBs).

Trash bags: Not just for carrying things. A large lawn bag in black heavy plastic makes a good poncho in a pinch or even a rainroof shelter. It can trap body heat and keep you alive. And it is much lighter than most ponchos.

Blades: I keep 3 levels of blade with all mu Bug In/Out bags. A multi-tool for all the wonderful little uses, pliers, file, can opener, small cutting ertc. Then I keep a good sized survival type knife. I carry a Cold Steel GI Tanto. Cost about $30, can be thrown, can baton wood with it, fight with it, lash it to a stick for a spear etc... Then I have a cold steel Magnum Kukri machete for heavy work and zombie defense. ;) These machetes are fantastic. I use a regular Cold Steel Kukri machete for yard work but keep the magnum with my GHB's The one I use for yard work has taken care of many saplings and branches with no problem at all.

Food: For the house, if I'm bugging IN I have several months worth of canned goods backed by Chef's Banquet and Wise freeze dried foods. I also have between 50 and 75 pounds of rice in vaccuum sealed food storage bags, inside food grade buckets. Working on adding to this larder every week. For bugging OUT or GHB I keep a few days Wise food in each bag and in both GHB's I have one 3600 calorie Mainstay bar pack. Each vehicle has 6 bottles of water and each bag has a Lifestraw.

Canteen vs water bottle: I prefer the canteen for several reasons. The cover mounts readily with ALICE clips on a web belt which also carries a knife, holster and ammo pouch conveniently. The cover has a small pocket on which must be good for SOMETHING. LOL. The canteen cup fits the canteen and provides a great little pot for cooking or boiling water for safety. ANd the canteen is much stronger than a flimsy plastic bottle.

Bugging IN vs Bugging OUT: If I ever have to bug at all I pray it is IN. I can't carry the 6 months food I have at home, spare fuel for camp stove and propane grill, gallons of water, cases of toilet paper, medical supplies etc, etc I have stored at home so bugging OUT would suck VERY hard. But if I HAVE to go I have a bag for that. Just as I have bags in my truck and my wife's car for getting home(GHBs).

Trash bags: Not just for carrying things. A large lawn bag in black heavy plastic makes a good poncho in a pinch or even a rainroof shelter. It can trap body heat and keep you alive. And it is much lighter than most ponchos.

Blades: I keep 3 levels of blade with all mu Bug In/Out bags. A multi-tool for all the wonderful little uses, pliers, file, can opener, small cutting ertc. Then I keep a good sized survival type knife. I carry a Cold Steel GI Tanto. Cost about $30, can be thrown, can baton wood with it, fight with it, lash it to a stick for a spear etc... Then I have a cold steel Magnum Kukri machete for heavy work and zombie defense. ;) These machetes are fantastic. I use a regular Cold Steel Kukri machete for yard work but keep the magnum with my GHB's The one I use for yard work has taken care of many saplings and branches with no problem at all.

Food: For the house, if I'm bugging IN I have several months worth of canned goods backed by Chef's Banquet and Wise freeze dried foods. I also have between 50 and 75 pounds of rice in vaccuum sealed food storage bags, inside food grade buckets. Working on adding to this larder every week. For bugging OUT or GHB I keep a few days Wise food in each bag and in both GHB's I have one 3600 calorie Mainstay bar pack. Each vehicle has 6 bottles of water and each bag has a Lifestraw.

Awesome Sir, Just Awesome. I completely agree I would much rather be bugging in than out.

BTW, Nalgene Bottles are not just flimsy plastic bottles, they truly are pretty much indestructible. The can withstand extreme heat and cold temps. You can even boil water in them if you know what your doing (can not put directly on a flame). The thing I really like about the Nalgene bottles is they do not retain any smell or taste of what was in the bottle before.

Awesome Sir, Just Awesome. I completely agree I would much rather be bugging in than out.

BTW, Nalgene Bottles are not just flimsy plastic bottles, they truly are pretty much indestructible. The can withstand extreme heat and cold temps. You can even boil water in them if you know what your doing (can not put directly on a flame). The thing I really like about the Nalgene bottles is they do not retain any smell or taste of what was in the bottle before.

Yes, I've watched Survivor, Dual Survival etc. where they've even boiled water in the cheap water bottles. Somebody on here really drove home the multi-use for each item lesson on me once a while back. That and my defaulting back to army equipment are what really sold me on the old canteen. As for taste, definitely an issue. I was always trained never to put anything but water in my canteen for just that reason. Well, that and it's a bear to get a finger in there to wash them out. ;)

Yes, I've watched Survivor, Dual Survival etc. where they've even boiled water in the cheap water bottles. Somebody on here really drove home the multi-use for each item lesson on me once a while back. That and my defaulting back to army equipment are what really sold me on the old canteen. As for taste, definitely an issue. I was always trained never to put anything but water in my canteen for just that reason. Well, that and it's a bear to get a finger in there to wash them out. ;)

I agree with using items for Multi-Use, this is why I wrap my nalgene bottles with Duck Tape (keeps me from having to carry an entire roll and taking up more space, I also use one for storing other items. Can even put in a Hammock.

i46.tinypic.com_2i8ktgh.jpg

i46.tinypic.com_2m61pw3.jpg

Here is a link to learn how to make the Hammock if anyone is interested:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Multiuse-paracord-hammock-in-a-Nalgene/

Don't forget to take the hammock out before you take a drink. ;)

I put a few feet of duct tape around every disposable lighter(I keep 3-4 in each of my bags). I'm kind of a fanatic about being able to make fire so I keep lighters, matches, a Blast Match and magnesium rod along with cotton balls dipped in vaseline, tampons and a few fuel tabs in every bag. I once bought waterproof match holders but I'm diabetic and the test strips come in waterproof cases. So after using the strips I have ended up with a dozen or so free match cases. Everything in my BoB's is in a ziplock bag for waterproofing as well. Fire kits, first aid kits, bandanas and hygiene kits, iodine/water treatment kits, etc.

I also carry a celphone in a ziplock bag. Not an active one but one I "de-commissioned" long ago. An old Motorolla E815. I keep the battery charged but no service to it. They make great alarm clocks and even without service you can still diall 911 on them. Of course for long term SHTF they are easy to toss and the battery may still be enough to spart a small fire.

You are dead on about paracord. I bought a 1000 ft roll about a year ago and have 100-200 ft in each bag. I also grabbed a couple of the pocket Bibles from Dollar Tree and popped them in ziplock bags for each bag.

Oh...I know they are cheap and some folks consider them junk but the space blankets are so light and useful I couldn't help but toss a couple of them in the bags. And I got the tents made of the same thing for the BoB and for my son(who's at school). Quick and easy to put up and reflective of heat and water repellant. Worth the slight weight they add.

For the 1st Aid ziplock pouches in my BOB/ GHB's, there's some:

ground-up Cayenne Pepper (blood coagulant/ hemostatic agent, wound antiseptic, blood pressure regulant, cardiac arrythmic treatment)
Cinnamon powder (anti-fungal, antibiotic, body cholesterol regulator)
white toothpaste (burn salve, poison-ivy/oak/sumac rash treatment)

Back
Top Bottom