• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Back to the basics lawn care starting at 25.00

Good luck with the business! I ran a lawn business for a few years and really enjoyed the work. Beats the crap out of what I do now (sit behind a computer all day at a flooring company, wondering where I went wrong in my career choices). Struggled to break even most of the time due to having several helpers and wear and tear on equipment and fuel costs. If I could do it myself, maybe with one helper even, and make a good living to support my family, I'd be all over it. My prices ranged from $25 to $60 a yard and we cut 13 yards weekly.

Yep, equipment failure catches up at some point or another. Years 5-7 are deadly for new bought lawn equipment if not sooner, if a financial plan is not made for replacing it, like not charging enough. There is a reason larger, successful outfits rotate/replace equipment every 3-5 years. $35 was a minimum for many in the early to mid 90s and $40-45 has become fairly normal as a minimum these days. $4000 mowers in the 90s are now $6500, $250 blowers are now $450, $22000 trucks are now $30000 plus. What is looking to be a respective income in the first years can hide the eventual demise of a lawn outfit.

21SF, for YEARS I have thought that this business model would work.

One reason lawn service is so friggin' expensive is because these lawn and landscape crews do everything, and take customers from all over. They'll drive 10 miles to do a customer's lawn.

I always thought that you could make money with a cheap basic lawn mowing service that is LOCAL, limited to a very small area, and you heavily market yourself in that area. Tell people that on Tuesday, you're ONLY going to be in this ZIP code, and that's how you can offer them such a good price. Have the customers' homes no more than a couple miles apart. Just enough of a drive to enjoy a few minutes of air conditioning in the truck and to drink some Gatorade before the next stop.

If you get people calling you from some other ZIP code, fine, schedule a day of the week that you go over there, and try to drum up more business for that area, BUT ONLY on the appropriate day(s) of the week.

I myself don't edge often. I cut. Quick and easy. If that's how I do it for myself, why would I pay a lot of money to have somebody else manicure and pedicure my lawn? I'm not in the market for that service most of the time.

Brand new zero turn added to my little company give me a call if you want a professional job done for less

Thanks guys for all the business advice think I'm on the right track

Attachments

• 20160906_083706.jpg
    20160906_083706.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 30
Bush work ,ya we do that to ,give me a call well get it done for an affordable price

Attachments

• 20160926_131545.jpg
    20160926_131545.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20160926_151724.jpg
    20160926_151724.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom