• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Baseball/Softball need advice

CARL CHILDERS

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
My little girl just signed up for softball and I have her squared away..,my question is I need a bat and have no clue what length or oz.. I'm 5'9" I won't be coaching just playing around practicing with her before a game.
Any advice on a bat I would appreciate .. Softball or baseball bat.
Thanks.

My Daughter is 5'4" she uses a 32oz bat in softball.rule is it should come from the ground to the hip.She should be able to hold it horizontal out to her side for at least 10 seconds.Hope this helps.

My Daughter is 5'4" she uses a 32oz bat in softball.rule is it should come from the ground to the hip.She should be able to hold it horizontal out to her side for at least 10 seconds.Hope this helps.
I've always heard to stand the bat up beside the kid and have them hold their arms down straight and the bat should come to the wrist but I guess that's where the hip would be. Also get something to help break her glove in so it's easier to catch the ball.

So the bat is for you....not your girl.

If your going to be hitting softballs get a softball bat.

If you are not planning on playing them there would be no need to spend the big bucks on the latest greatest bat. Go to a sporting goods store and check out the adult softball bats. You'll figure it out from there.

Just go to Walmart and pick out a bat (baseball or softball, doesn't matter) you can swing with 1 hand easily. You'll spend most of your time hitting ground balls or short fly balls to her. Tossing up a ball then trying to get your other hand on the bat to make a solid hit is a PITA so just use 1 hand. My son is going to a D1 college on a baseball scholarship and I spent YEARS hitting him baseballs and other players when I coached so I speak from experience.

Also, if she's an outfielder use tennis balls. If she can catch a tennis ball (bouncy) then she can catch a softball. Teaches her to squeeze the glove to catch the ball and they don't hurt as bad if she misses. You can just throw up in the air for her or use a tennis racquet.

On glove break in there are a lot of theories. Go get some shaving cream with lanolin in it. Lather the glove completely inside and out. Then tie a softball into the web of the glove and let it sit over night. Wipe it off the next day and start using it for toss. The more you use it the more pliable it becomes. Use your stronger hands to bend and flex it as much as possible. It just takes time more than anything.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Last edited:
My little girl just signed up for softball and I have her squared away..,my question is I need a bat and have no clue what length or oz.. I'm 5'9" I won't be coaching just playing around practicing with her before a game.
Any advice on a bat I would appreciate .. Softball or baseball bat.
Thanks.

Where you located? I have many small bats from my daughters softball teams. You are more than welcome to have them. I am sure there are a few that will fit. PM me and see if we can find a place to meet.

Back
Top Bottom