• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

BE-86 124 Gr plated RN 9mm

insulinboy

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
36   0
Reaction score
Any recomendations? I finally got the recipe right for my Ramshot Silhouette and I couldn't find any local so I thought I'll just run this instead on recommendation, but I just cant get a group out of it like I could with the ramshot.. I'm at 5.7 grains right now (which is as close to max as I like to be. Max being 5.9, I was loading 5.9 of the ramshot with a max of 6.1) I've always been under the impression that the closer to max you get the tighter the groupings get (which was my experiance with the ramshot as well) Do I just need to try loading a couple rounds light and see what happens?

I know its what I will end up doing as it just makes sense to play with it some, I'm really just currious of others experiances. Shooting out of a Springfield XD 4.5", a Sig P226, and Hi-Point Carbine

I have found with some powders you don't need to be anywhere near max. My tightest groups with Titegroup 124gr 9mm was with like 3.1gr. Pretty low on the scale

You can take a powder that has nearly the same burn rate as the powder you're using and get horrible groups with it. Some guns/bullets/powders just don't work together.
If I used plated bullets, I would use lead bullet data (125gn L-RN: 5.1gn start and 5.7gn MAX).
Per Alliant, a MAX for a 124gn FMJ-RN bullet is 5.8gn
Are these the same bullets that Silhouette performed fine with?
I find that 9x19 is often most accurate close to max loads. If someone is shooting action pistol, then they don't need to get max accuracy. Likewise, TiteGroup is not an accurate powder for any of my 9x19s, but then action pistol shooters have different needs.

While slowly increasing the charge, working loads up, I as well as others have noted a trend of a "sweet spot" for that load, for that firearm. The sweet spot may be the start load or max load and often in between.

I closely observe for this during testing. It may be difficult to detect but if noted then dependent on your performance objectives consider it.

What I have clearly observed, overall, is that a violent maximum loading of any significance is not conducive to shooter accuracy. Downloading to lower "target" velocities, reduces recoil, reduces muzzle flash, reduces flinching and intimidates less. But hey who doesn't like to throw a 4 foot booming "Magnum" flame that turns heads on the range on occasion...... :becky:
:laser::target:
LOAD STACKS.png

Thank you sir, that makes sense.. I had read from a couple sources that max load gets a better chamber seal and thus makes a more accurate load, I also noted this being the case with the ramshot powder so I just took it for fact. I'm still learning :)

Back
Top Bottom