Best AR barrel for the money?

freedom

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
What's the best AR barrel for the money? The SOTA arms stuff is a good price,but I'm not sure about the quality and accuracy. Palmetto has a few for under 200, I've heard there stuff is good.

What would you recommend for under 200, or 300?

I'd go with Palmetto State or Spikes or keep an eye out for a deal from higher-tier maker. I know PSA gets a lot of their blanks or unfinished barrels from FN, but I'm not sure how much finishing/machining they do themselves. Not sure where Spikes procures they're barrels, but they often have the exact same specs as the PSA stuff. From what Spikes claims, they have a pretty significant operation where they do a lot of the finishing and machining themselves. Either way, both of these seem to have very well spec'd stuff, and as long as QC is good, I'd get whichever is in stock when you need it.

If you look at the FN barrel from PSA, they tell you it's made by FN and is made from "machine gun steel", double chrome lined, etc.. Spikes has a very similar barrel that they simply state is machine gun certified (M203 or something like that), double chrome lined, etc., which is exactly how the PSA barrel is spec'd. I concluded that at least some of Spikes barrels also come from FN. So I think it's just a matter of who has teh better finishing operation and QC in place. Anyhow, I'm waiting on a 14.5" upper from PSA because I heard nothing but good things about them and Spikes was out of stock on pretty much everything. Good luck!

They're likely all from the same handful of vendors? If I'm shopping precision, I don't even consider the lined ones. I prefer stainless on my target/varmint rifles.

I picked up a 16" 5R rifling Armilite branded 300 AAC barrel for a couple of hundred a few weeks back. It shoots as well as many match grade barrels selling for much more.

Application makes a huge difference. The average barrel made today is superior to the very best production barrels of just a few years ago.

Chuckdog is right that it depends on the purpose of the rifle...target/varmint set-up can be different than training/home defense.
I definitely wouldn't buy the cheapest AR part just to try to save a buck, especially if it's the barrel or BCG. If you're on AR15.com they almost always have new take-off barrels listed on the Equipment Exchange. Bryan from AIM Surplus had some blemished Daniel Defense barrels listed there that were not available on the AIM website but I think he sold them all.

I'm looking for a sweet spot between cheap and quality. I want fist sized groups at 100yds. I'm not looking for a competition quality rifle, but if I can't hit a small plate that far out I won't be happy.

I'm looking for a sweet spot between cheap and quality. I want fist sized groups at 100yds. I'm not looking for a competition quality rifle, but if I can't hit a small plate that far out I won't be happy.

Nevermind....that's too easy.

What optics do you plan on running? <100 yards, depending on your eyesight, you should be okay with a good red dot or maybe even iron sights (not me though- I need 1-4 magnification for that). A decent quality 16 inch mid-length barrel should be accurate enough at that range.http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_.cfm?inventorynumber=4433

nothing wrong with the Sota barrels

they even have a chrome lined for $129

Like all of their products ....goood stuff for the $$

Back
Top Bottom