Best AR barrel for the money?

For a more precision oriented barrel, the BCM stainless barrels shoot lights out.

For a general use barrel, any of the quality hammer forged barrels from BCM, Daniel Defense, PSA or otherwise will be more than enough. The hammer forged barrels are either made by FN or Daniel Defense, so you're very likely to get a good one regardless of who's name is on it.

For a more precision oriented barrel, the BCM stainless barrels shoot lights out.

For a general use barrel, any of the quality hammer forged barrels from BCM, Daniel Defense, PSA or otherwise will be more than enough. The hammer forged barrels are either made by FN or Daniel Defense, so you're very likely to get a good one regardless of who's name is on it.

Good advice. I'd also check out the barrel offerings from Ranier Arms.

I don't know anything about the Sota barrels, but my concerns with bargain AR parts like those or DPMS is that you often don't know what you're getting. For example, what barrel steel is used? Are the chambers true 5.56mm spec? Is the gas port properly sized? You don't have to worry about these things when buying a known good product from BCM, Daniel Defense, Ranier, PSA, etc.

we've used the SOTA barrel and it's fine as far as specs go(carbine). A bit rough on the Park finish but easily smoothed. they also offer SS barrels in multiple calibers.

every part we've gotten from them has been fine. would I choose their barrels for high power Match shooting .. no... but for a std AR yes

DPMS and Delton parts are also fine. for a general use AR

Hammer forging equipment is very expensive so there really aren't many sources as noted

we've used the SOTA barrel and it's fine as far as specs go(carbine). A bit rough on the Park finish but easily smoothed. they also offer SS barrels in multiple calibers.

every part we've gotten from them has been fine. would I choose their barrels for high power Match shooting .. no... but for a std AR yes

DPMS and Delton parts are also fine. for a general use AR

Hammer forging equipment is very expensive so there really aren't many sources as noted

Do you have access to 5.56mm go / no go gages or a 5.56mm chamber reamer? Like I mentioned, I don't know anything about them, but I am curious. I'm wondering who cuts the barrels for them & if the chamber specs are correct.

This is an old email from SOTA arms. I asked the same questions a while ago.

Hello
We have several barrel people that blank for us including Montana Rifleman and Wilson. We take care of the turns and the chambers.

We are building uppers steady and have the uppers listed on the websight in the pipeline steady. Currently the ship times are roughly 2 weeks or so for 5.56 and 300 Blackout. The 7.62 and 6.8 are running up to four weeks.

We use UPS and shipping to you takes roughly 4 days from time UPS picks up here.

Thanks for your interest
Sota Arms Sales

Sota has 556 barrels right now in Mag Phos, Stainless Steel, and Chrome Lined, 300 Black Out in Stainless Steel and Stainless Steel that is coated black, 762x39 in Mag Phos and Stainless Steel, and 6.8 in Stainless Steel.

Just took a look at the site. It looks like all 5.56mm barrels are 1/9 twist. I would assume 4140 steel and not mil spec 4150cmv based on price. That's fine for a plinker or budget minded "truck gun". But if I only had one AR, I'd drop a little more dough on a known good mil spec barrel. That's just me though. Only the OP knows what's best suited for his uses.

Back
Top Bottom