• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best Blade shapes for Self defense/EDC

My personal favorite for each of your questions Shane:

self defense- my DDR Gunhammer. It's a slight recurve plus blood channels to allow bleeding out. It's also the sharpest knife I own by a mile

i41.tinypic.com_ff8xo7.jpg

For EDC, I have many, but my solid dependable is my Fletcher Pocket Kilo.

i42.tinypic.com_2v1nq6o.jpg

My 2 cents. Before you settle on a blade shape I think you have to consider total package options.

For example I have 2 cold steel "Spikes". The first I got was the Tanto Spike. I LOVE tantos. But the spikes have such narrow hilts that they are harder to grasp and will slip and turn in your hand. They are best for slicing. Thrusting could be a problem if you hit a bone. And while they are plenty strong and I have no worries about them breaking the tanto spike is very long and straight so as a slicer it loses too much to torque. The second is the Scimitar Spike, which I just got last week. It has a flattened S shape overall and offers a MUCH better slicing profile. It also has a nice knob for a pommel which makes the grip firmer. FOr a deep concealment neck knife it is a much better design IMO than the tanto spike.

View attachment 194490

View attachment 194491

I also have a Cold Steel Kobun Tanto as a neck knife which I often EDC without problem. It does print slightly but, depending on what shirt I'm wearing, not enough to be noticeable. It has a generous grip in a good, non-slip material. The blade is wide, long and lightweight. For defense I think it's a great weapon.

View attachment 194492

If the neck is not your cup of tea then is a linerlock or a lock back your preference or a belt sheath fixed blade? Along with my neck knife I usually carry either a Gerber Applegate Fairbairn Covert

View attachment 194493

or a Kershaw Speedsafe. Oh yeah. I like the assisted open for the fast one handed operation. I have my Applegate Fairbairn "tuned" to open with a flick though so it seems like it's assisted open.

This is the Kershaw Compund. Now here's a blade shape you don't see every day. LOL!

View attachment 194494

The Tanto is a weapon, whereas the drop-point is a tool.

Read that somewhere and I think that sums it up. Tantos are specialized for fighting. Drop points are a do it all blade. For me, an EDC knife is also an everyday use knife. I have a drop point with no serration. I figure a tanto that I wouldn't use would be like a gun that I never practice with.

I carry a cold steel karambit. nasty, nasty weapon!

I really like the Karambit design and have carried a few...One is too big, one is too small, one isn't quite curved enough for me....thus the search continues..

The Felony stop is about as close to perfect as I have, but would like to have more curve in the handle closer to the Craig Camerer...but slightly smaller...The TDI is really comfortable and easy to carry but it is SMALL..

Attachments

• photo copy.jpg
    photo copy.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1294.jpg
    IMG_1294.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 27
  • photo copy 6.JPG
    photo copy 6.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 26
  • photo copy 3-1.jpg
    photo copy 3-1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 27
  • photo copy 2.jpg
    photo copy 2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 26
Read that somewhere and I think that sums it up. Tantos are specialized for fighting. Drop points are a do it all blade. For me, an EDC knife is also an everyday use knife. I have a drop point with no serration. I figure a tanto that I wouldn't use would be like a gun that I never practice with.

I understand what you are saying...I don't mind carrying an accessible pocket knife like the Kershaw to USE and then a dedicated knife...

I hear a LOT of people telling me what kind of caliber of knife they carry, but often, confrontations can take place in a very close space and my dominate hand could be unavailable to draw my pistol....you could be on the ground, you could be over powered, and while I understand that we all need to have situational awareness, there are times when we are caught off guard....that is where having a back up weapon in my mind comes into play...something accessible and readily available with either hand, that is why I wear it at 11 O'clock on the front...

I understand what you are saying...I don't mind carrying an accessible pocket knife like the Kershaw to USE and then a dedicated knife...

I hear a LOT of people telling me what kind of caliber of knife they carry, but often, confrontations can take place in a very close space and my dominate hand could be unavailable to draw my pistol....you could be on the ground, you could be over powered, and while I understand that we all need to have situational awareness, there are times when we are caught off guard....that is where having a back up weapon in my mind comes into play...something accessible and readily available with either hand, that is why I wear it at 11 O'clock on the front...

"caliber of knife"... I think you aren't getting enough sleep...

As far as size goes I would think an adaptation of Coopers advice would be applicable... "Carry the biggest knife that you will carry & can "hit" with..."
I really like that "felony stop" knife you have. It, being in your waistband, would be better than the custom karambit left in your office/ truck, etc.

Also your mindset is excellent. While you do have that big sales counter in your store as a barrier, your work requires you to be in very close proximity to a lot of people so having plan a, b, & c is a really good idea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom