Best glass for the DD AR?

bjordaninatl

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
40   0
Reaction score
Looking for some advice here. I have a Leupold VXR Firedot 3-9X40 on it now, after going to the range several times, just think it may be overkill and don't like the having to keep it so close to the eye to work. So not sure if I want to go with something else. I am considering switching to a Eotech HHSII (EXPS2-2 w/ G33 magnifier) or a Micro T1 or maybe even a Trijicon. (but I know we are talking a lot more money than I have in my Firedot too) I guess my question is, the best bang for the buck, durability, functionality advantages. Even just your personal preference is welcome here.

Thank you brothers.

Everyone has their own preferences but I loved the leatherwood CMR I had. 1-4x24
The reticle has built in ranging capabilities and the illuminated center part gives a quick aiming reticle similar to an Eotech. You range by width instead of height. It takes a little getting used to, but I really liked it.
http://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...i-lux-cmr-1-4x24mm-riflescopes-prod56962.aspx
image.jpg
image.jpg

Most folks tend to way overscope their AR's. It works great shooting from a bench at 100 yds, but once you start moving and shooting closeup targets or multiple targets, speed really starts to suffer and accuracy isn't really gained by more magnification. I find that I strongly prefer a simple red dot with no magnification. I've owned or used everything from the old Aimpoint M2 to a Nightforce 2.5-10 with an offset micro dot, including 4 different ACOGs, a Vortex 1-6, a Leupold 1.5-5, and a Micro T1 with an Aimpoint 3X magnifier on a Larue flip-to-side mount. After all that, the T1 is still my preference with the M2/PRO a close second.
Hits out to 200 are still quite doable and nothing beats it up close and moving. I personally prefer Aimpoint to Eotech for battery life, durability, and precision/simplicity of reticle.

I'd say a T1 if you want a red dot as it almost disappears when you look through it. The PRO would be my second choice for a red dot. Eotechs are just too grainy for me but lots of guys love them. For a fixed magnification optic I really like the ACOG. There is no 'starburst' of the reticle and the glass if really clear. I don't own a variable power scope, so can't comment there.

ASSH556 said: "It works great shooting from a bench at 100 yds, but once you start moving and shooting closeup targets or multiple targets, speed really starts to suffer and accuracy isn't really gained by more magnification"

See, this is what I worried about being an issue with the Firedot too.

Last edited:
TIMBGTM
"Acog..I have one on my DD and it is hard to beat, one of the best optics out there"

Yeah the ACOG's are badass, I just don't know if its really worth the additional cheddar of double.

You can probably find a used one for $600-ish. I found a new T1 on here for $450. The ACOGs will last forever and you can get the tritium redone when it wears out. The 3x ACOG is probably a good mix of up-close and further away work.

Not to knock the guys recommending the ACOG. They are rugged as hell, but what is an ACOG going to do that your VXR 3-9 on 3X with the Firedot doesn't already do? The answer is nothing. I have a 3-9 VXR Patrol on my .308 AR, so I know it's strengths and limitations. The Leupold is more forgiving with eye relief than the ACOGs as well. Regardless of what they cost, the ACOGs will not give you what you're looking for. In my humble opinion, the ACOG is a worst of both worlds optic, not a best of both worlds: too much magnification to ever be as fast as an Aimpoint/Eotech, but not enough magnification to be as useful as a variable 3-9/2.5-10/etc on the top end.

Back
Top Bottom