• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best glass for the DD AR?

I'm a big fan of the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x I'm sure it's much lighter and more compact than your current 3-9x while still offering an acceptable amount of magnification.
It has pretty good eye relief and seems to work well on the 1.5 setting with both eyes open for shooting larger targets such as silhouettes etc. I have run a Vortex SPARC and an Aimpoint and the red dot type scopes I've tried just don't give me the fine aiming point for when I want to take the more precise shots that my rifle is capable of.
I think it boils down to what fits your needs, meets your wants and what you're most comfortable with. Sometimes It can get kind of pricy to figure out.
Good luck and I hope you find what works for you.

Not to knock the guys recommending the ACOG. They are rugged as hell, but what is an ACOG going to do that your VXR 3-9 on 3X with the Firedot doesn't already do? The answer is nothing. I have a 3-9 VXR Patrol on my .308 AR, so I know it's strengths and limitations. The Leupold is more forgiving with eye relief than the ACOGs as well. Regardless of what they cost, the ACOGs will not give you what you're looking for. In my humble opinion, the ACOG is a worst of both worlds optic, not a best of both worlds: too much magnification to ever be as fast as an Aimpoint/Eotech, but not enough magnification to be as useful as a variable 3-9/2.5-10/etc on the top end.

Yeah when I liquidate my SPS 700/308 to fund a SIG716 buy/trade, was already thinking of keeping it to move over to the AR10. Once I decide on other optic for the DD.

I'm a big fan of the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x I'm sure it's much lighter and more compact than your current 3-9x while still offering an acceptable amount of magnification.
It has pretty good eye relief and seems to work well on the 1.5 setting with both eyes open for shooting larger targets such as silhouettes etc. I have run a Vortex SPARC and an Aimpoint and the red dot type scopes I've tried just don't give me the fine aiming point for when I want to take the more precise shots that my rifle is capable of.
I think it boils down to what fits your needs, meets your wants and what you're most comfortable with. Sometimes It can get kind of pricy to figure out.
Good luck and I hope you find what works for you.

"Sometimes It can get kind of pricy to figure out." (this is why Im on here asking for advice BHJ, to help reduce some of that, I GOT WIFE & KIDS MAN!!! :ballchain:)

Back
Top Bottom