• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best place to deer hunt Clybel wma

Urffdog

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
6   0
Reaction score
I need so help my self and two of my sons got drawn for the first quota hunt next week and I don't know anything about this place. Please help if you can I have two boys pumped up to kill a deer so any help would be greatly appreciated.

WMAs are weird, because they have these short bursts of very high pressure and the deer respond pretty quickly to it my moving away from human activity. Last year when I hit some new WMAs I pretty much set up on the deepest/ hardest to access food plot the first morning, then scouted the middle of the day for a better spot. Sit that evening on what you scouted, and either hit it the next morning, or apply the same approach until you find the deer. You should be able to cover a lot of ground. Either way, my first sit or two are mainly observation sits just to see if deer are moving in the area, and I can either find a new spot, or adjust my setup on that spot if needed. Get on google earth, or HuntStand or onX and do some satellite scouting. Go ahead and eliminate the easy to access areas, because other folks will probably park, walk 50 yards into the woods, and hang a stand and hunt. I usually don’t plan for success my first hunt on a new property, I’m really just gaining intel for the next year.

Good on you hops for throwing the OP a bone. Maybe them boys will have a memorable hunt. Public land hunting requires some preparation and scouting. Don’t expect immediate success. As mentioned above, this year will be a learning experience for y’all.
Most of the productive spots that I have found have been due to walking my butt off and putting in the time. Get back in there away from the weekend warriors, arrive earlier than normal and use them to push deer back in on you. Don’t expect to see deer lingering around in the easy to access areas. Put down some boot leather and find where they are feeding and bedding. Set up in between and hope for the best. Most of the WMA’s have been pressured all of the archery season and the deer have altered their patterns due to that. They’re good at avoiding the crowds, so put in some effort if you want to be successful.

Good on you hops for throwing the OP a bone. Maybe them boys will have a memorable hunt. Public land hunting requires some preparation and scouting. Don’t expect immediate success. As mentioned above, this year will be a learning experience for y’all.
Most of the productive spots that I have found have been due to walking my butt off and putting in the time. Get back in there away from the weekend warriors, arrive earlier than normal and use them to push deer back in on you. Don’t expect to see deer lingering around in the easy to access areas. Put down some boot leather and find where they are feeding and bedding. Set up in between and hope for the best. Most of the WMA’s have been pressured all of the archery season and the deer have altered their patterns due to that. They’re good at avoiding the crowds, so put in some effort if you want to be successful.
Thank you for the great advice.

Back
Top Bottom