• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Big safe, big savings!

Stack-on makes a decent, low-cost 'gun cabinet', but no way I would call them safes. I mean the hinges are on the outside for pity's sake.

PowerFactor did a safe 'walk-through' that was pretty interesting...

http://www.powerfactorshow.com/2013/07/08/episode-133-tour-of-nwsafe-part-one/

They show a lot about why cheap safes may look good but don't really work.

Hinges on the outside are fine, as long as the door has some type of fixture (typically dead bolts) on the interior hinge side and doesn't rely solely on the hinges to keep the door secure to the frame. Even the entry level safes with external hinges are built to not rely on them for keeping the door secured.

So all you guys that sell and work on safes belittle all the affordable ones that most of us could consider. So if everything mentioned in this thread so far is garbage what do you recommend? What do you actually own? How much did you actually spend on it? And what makes it so special? I was looking to upgrade a little bit from what i have now. Go a bit bigger, a bit more protection and not break the bank. I have a modest collection and the rifles never fit right so I need a few more spaces. Pistols you can jam or hang anywhere. I'm looking to spend around the $500 range. Give or take. And from what I've read so far in this thread there is no difference between a $500 safe and a $1000 safe. So why would I spend twice as much without any extra return.

I don't sell or work on these. I just researched and studied the hell out of this topic. It's an eye opener when you start getting into the details of how these are built, particularly the parts the consumer can't see after the paint, fabric and shelves are in place.

I have nothing against a $600 Winchester or Canon safe bought from Academy, TSC, etc. Serves good duty for most people. I just think it's important that people understand what they can't see and aren't getting with their purchase.

Hinges on the outside are fine, as long as the door has some type of fixture (typically dead bolts) on the interior hinge side and doesn't rely solely on the hinges to keep the door secure to the frame. Even the entry level safes with external hinges are built to not rely on them for keeping the door secured.

That is true... if you can secure all four edges than the hinges are just there for convenience. If you can split them it would give you a potential pry-point though, something the higher-end safes work hard to avoid. Probably not an issue for the stack-ons though,

Back
Top Bottom