• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Biltong

Gotta link to the box thread? I looked and didn't find it. I've only seen biltong made on racks under cheesecloth in the sun for a few days. Is the box sealed up or do you use screen or something to keep the bugs out?

The venison looks great. I love using it for jerky vs. fatty beef.

Gotta link to the box thread? I looked and didn't find it. I've only seen biltong made on racks under cheesecloth in the sun for a few days. Is the box sealed up or do you use screen or something to keep the bugs out?

The venison looks great. I love using it for jerky vs. fatty beef.

I thought I posted it in the woodworking spot but I guess I didn't as I couldn't find it either. It's just a basic wood box with a door. I put 2 light bulbs in the bottom, 2 computer fans up top, made air holes in the bottom and covered them with screen. I sealed any gaps with sealant. My dimensions are 4 ft tall, 2 deep and 2 wide but you don't have to make it that big.
20160702_195820.jpg
20160702_195840.jpg
20160702_204054.jpg
20160702_204102.jpg
20160702_195814.jpg

Simple and effective. Do you know what kind of temps it reaches? I'm thinking of putting one together, and in the summer heat, my shop reaches 110+ with the doors closed.

from the time that you hang the meat, about how long til it's ready?

I like the look of the cuts. I usually make jerky in the oven, but it's limited to two cookie sheets at a time, which is about 3/4 of a typical roast. It takes between 10-13 hours to dry the first two trays, and another 6-8 for the last tray.

I'm thinking I could run horizontal hangers every 5-6 inches and get a lot of meat done quickly.

I hung 5 chains across the top and use paperclips to hang. Alternating long and short I can fit a lot of meat in that box. The drying time varies with the thickness of the cuts. I use at least inch and a half thick cuts. Temperature doesn't matter. The light bulbs are there to heat air gently so it rises and is then drawn out by the fans. It's an air circulation thing not a temperature thing. I put the box is inside and I keep my house at 68 degrees. 4-5 days it takes to get cured properly.

Yeah, I see it with making jerky. I dry at 185 degrees. If it hits close to 200, it seems that the blood and fat boil and it cooks grease out which can go rancid and make the meat rot/stink.

I consider biltong more of a cured meat product than a dried meat like jerky. If you are interested in building a box and trying it out I'll help. I'm using up my venison stocks quite quickly and it's hard to get bottom round beef cut with the grain. Most butchers don't want to do it because they want to cut them up for London broil and such. I'm gonna have to buy a whole bottom round I think.

Back
Top Bottom