Blems heavy bullets?

Trailboss is an idiot proof sub load powder. Using other fast powders like red dot will yield more consistent results but it's a trial and error thing. Most mfg won't list sub data for this reason.

Just be careful and don't go below factory published minimums. I know it doesn't "sound dangerous" but it can be Very Dangerous, Please believe me I found out the hard way got lucky and learned without injury. Crazy stuff happens below published minimums when powder doesn't always burn as a column.

What BHJ said above.

Another thing to consider is that the different bullets from various manufacturers will give different pressures and velocities, even if they're the same weight. One manufacturer's .308 bullet may measure
.30795", while another's may measure
.30825". Bearing surface area will also vary with the bullet's ogive, significantly affecting pressures.

Just be aware that load data cannot be necessarily interchanged between bullets of the same weight without consequences.

I'd definitely call all the powder companies. IMR, Alliant, Accurate, Hodgdon
I found that sometimes they have really good info that's not necessarily "published" or easy to find that they will share.
It might save you a few laps around the block.

What BHJ said above.

Another thing to consider is that the different bullets from various manufacturers will give different pressures and velocities, even if they're the same weight. One manufacturer's .308 bullet may measure
.30795", while another's may measure
.30825". Bearing surface area will also vary with the bullet's ogive, significantly affecting pressures.

Just be aware that load data cannot be necessarily interchanged between bullets of the same weight without consequences.

Exactly. The ogive and the length of the bullet have significant bearing on things like leade and how much bullet is in the case and therefore have a significant effect on pressure, which in turn affects the velocity.

So, to go from a standard SP bullet of say 210 grains to a ballistic tip, boat-tail design could change your velocity enough to warrant having to start over with your load development.

My suggestion is to watch the Midway USA site as most of the time they have a blem bullet sale around January in which they sell Hornady and Sierra blems (not labeled as such) for a pretty good discount.

Either that, or suck it up and use the A-Max's for load development or alternatively, find a different bullet because chances are if you are worried about the cost of the bullet for load development then you will be worried about using them for range fodder as well and you will just end up with a load you won't shoot.

Definitely true about that guys! Been on another reloading forum and bunch of people been getting these 203gr bullets that's really cheap but the design is like the xtreme bullets. Flat nose and really thick. Lots of them been having feeding problem when they load too long!

I might just say f it and wait for good deal on amax. What are they? Like $32/100?

Last edited:
That sounds about right on the price.
Just be aware that Amax typically are "Long" bullets with a high ballistic coefficient.
A big heavy A max will probably be really easy to load too long for a magazine and maybe even for your action. (jam in the lands)
Not sure what the expansion velocity is on an A max either, Just educated guessing that sub sonic isn't fast enough to open one up and that velocity for reliable expansion would probably be North of 2000FPS.
That's probably why others are using something with a large metplat.

UUUM, You might want to stick to the bullet you develop your load with. Change one variable and you're back to square one. Some bullets that have the same characteristics like a ballistic tip and an accubond may be close but an A max is a very long slender high BC bullet with a completely different ogive than most other bullets and any development data probably wont translate well at all.

If you want an A max load use an a max bullet during development, It's not like they come 50 to a pack and cost an arm and a leg like premium hunting bullets.

Just my $.02 and worth exactly what you paid to read it.

Very true, and a good suggestion........

That sounds about right on the price.
Just be aware that Amax typically are "Long" bullets with a high ballistic coefficient.
A big heavy A max will probably be really easy to load too long for a magazine and maybe even for your action. (jam in the lands)
Not sure what the expansion velocity is on an A max either, Just educated guessing that sub sonic isn't fast enough to open one up and that velocity for reliable expansion would probably be North of 2000FPS.
That's probably why others are using something with a large metplat.
Yeah you're right. I will see how it does during my hunt and see if its worth the troubles. I guess I'll have to make sure I make good placement shots.

Back
Top Bottom