BOLO Your Credit

Sigo

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
1   0
Reaction score
Hi, ODT! I have been having a bit of difficulty of late with identity fraud. So far it has cost me only some time. I am hoping that you can avoid the potential impact of criminals that may try to target you.

Someone as been applying for credit in my name. The first time, they managed to get the account started, then they logged on to the account and added an authorized user. I got alerted when the card arrived. I contacted the company (American Express) and got the account closed. According to the investigator, the thief tries to change access to the account and use the account before the card arrives. Sometimes they hope to beat the victim to the mailbox to remove any notifications and authorization confirmations. They may submit authorizations and may change the billing address for that account.

A little investigation on my part turned up a common identity for identity theft in my area and an address a few blocks away from my home. I reported the actions to appropriate authorities and have heard nothing since.

Since then, I have recieved notifications from Synchrony Bank (Amazon Card) and even though I contacted the bank immediately, they sent a card. I made the proper notifications/reports and am in the process of correcting my credit report for the fraudualnt application. Today, I got another notification from Synchrony Bank. With help from my fraud alert services, I am making the proper notifications and am awaiting the paperwork to file reports with the police. They have also place a fraud alert on my credit report to notify credit/financial institutions of the attempted identity fraud. I will be keeping an eye on my mailbox to ensure that no cards arrive.

What does this mean to you? If you do not already do it, make sure you check your mail regularly and destroy any unsolicited credit applications, as well as those from your current accounts. Consider a credit alert/watch service. If any of these requests had succeeded, I would be spending allot of time and money to stop the headache and fix the damage to my financial standing. If you feel you cannot afford a service, consider taking advantage of the annual free credit reports from the big three reporting agencies. Do one every four months and you may be able to mitigate damage to your finances.

Another problem I am sure we have all experienced is fraudulent use of our credit and debit numbers. There are many ways to avoid these, but the easiest is to review your account transactions for any entries that are not your's. Its a pain, but when you catch it, it can save you money if you catch it early. I had one card number that was sold and ended up being used by someone to purchase a scam web page in my name. One was taken and sold while I was driving home from Florida. Before I got home, it had been sold to several different people who ran up several thousands of dollars in charges before I even made it home. One was used to rent numerous hotel rooms in California for some Arab guy. Another was used to purchase bulk fuel at a Pilot station in Madison, GA. Each time, I caught the activity within a day of the charge showing up and it cost me nothing but phone time and butt pain time. It happens every year or so, because the market is so easy to exploit.

Just pay attention, consider credit monitoring and you can mitigate most of the butt pain. Stay alert. The predators are looking for the inattentive antelope.

About a year ago somebody used my debit card number to buy a cellphone in Kansas. I saw the charge when I went to Wells Fargo online to review my account, which I do about 5 times a week. Called WF and got it squared away, nothing further happened and they put the $$$$ back in my account immediately. Watch your accounts.

This has happened to my step Dad a couple times , one time (year ago) he figured out were his # was copied , the Owner said I know who did it & that employee has been Fired . The police basically said "Oh Well" The Bank took care of it.
I asked about 'Felony' Charges & he stated there was not much he (step-Dad) could do cause the Police did not want to pursue it.

That tells me ID Theft is a good business to be in , esp if overseas .
GL OP & thx for the BOLO

FREEZE YOUR CREDIT! Go online to all 3 credit bureaus and freeze it so nobody can apply for credit. When you need to apply simply go online and thaw for a few days. This won't help fraud on your current accounts, but prevents any new accounts from being opened.

Easiest thing you can do to stop all of this is lock your credit. When you need to apply for a cc or loan, simply thaw your credit with whichever agency that is needed to review your credit and it will re-freeze after the amount of time you set. You can get a monitoring company which is fine but freezing your credit is something YOU should already be doing. And quit using your debit card anywhere, period.

Good advice. I am avoiding that right now, because I plan to purchase some land soon. Years ago, I put a freeze on it following one of the NUMEROUS VA info leaks. I removed it in prep for a property transaction and it showed up again ON closing day and again a few years later when buying a car. Pain in the butt to get fixed right away. Its like a glitch with one of the reporting agencies. Once I purchase the property, I will be freezing it again. In the interim, I will keep the alert on it and keep monitoring.

There is a certain shop in Carrollton where my wife used to shop. She constantly had to have her CC and Debit card replaced. She passed away. No one tried to use her cards (and I cancelled them).
I went to that shop ONE time. A week later my CC was used to buy tickets from Moscow to London, and hundreds of dollars worth of drinks on the plane. African/Arabic sounding name.Bank refunded me the money, American Airlines is out a lot of money.
Coincidence? I think not.
Check your accounts daily.

FREEZE YOUR CREDIT! Go online to all 3 credit bureaus and freeze it so nobody can apply for credit. When you need to apply simply go online and thaw for a few days. This won't help fraud on your current accounts, but prevents any new accounts from being opened.
Yep freeze all three bureaus. If you apply for loans or credit cards you can unfreeze it for three days and it's locked again.
Did that about five years ago when government accounts where hacked up the airport. No problems since then. They can apply all they want but nothing they can do.

There is a certain shop in Carrollton where my wife used to shop. She constantly had to have her CC and Debit card replaced. She passed away. No one tried to use her cards (and I cancelled them).
I went to that shop ONE time. A week later my CC was used to buy tickets from Moscow to London, and hundreds of dollars worth of drinks on the plane. African/Arabic sounding name.Bank refunded me the money, American Airlines is out a lot of money.
Coincidence? I think not.
Check your accounts daily.
That reminds me of a time I was in detroit. On my day of I'd go across to Canada. Between the two borders was a duty free gas station. I would gas up all 3 tanks on my truck with 70+ gallons duty free diesel.

I thinks the pumps must have been hacked because of the number of times I was contacted by by credit union after they froze my account due to suspicious activity.

Back
Top Bottom