• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Boots- shelf life

The common thing that the boots have in this thread other than the couple pair of Vasque boots, are the rest were made in China or some other Asian country. Wolverine and Rocky boots aren't any better than the Walmart specials anymore.

As a hiker and someone who spent 12 years doing land surveying, I had good luck with the older Vasque boots that were made in Italy, and the Danner boots that were made in the states. Nothing else lasted longer than 6 months, including Wolverine and Rocky. Yes the cost of admission is higher at first, but you'll spend less in the long run by buying quality to start with. There's no reason to drop $150-$200 on cheap boots like Wolverine, Rocky, and/or Timberland.
I agree about the wolverines and rocky boots not holding up but there are actually some good quality boots in the $200 range. I had a pair of Ariat pull on boots last me almost 3 years in a commercial construction environment and I really am rough on them. Demo and the like. The toe finally wore out and the soles were fine. Wore down but no separation at all. I am on my second pair now and 6 months in and they look like brand new and very comfortable. I have only tried the pull on type and my current pair is a cowboy heel with rubber sole. All I can say is my experience is stellar with the Ariat pull on boots and yes they are actually made in China so go figure.

I was making reference that just because a person spends $200 for a pair of boots like Rocky or Wolverine, that doesn't make them any better than the $40 Herman Survivors at Walmart. I have a pair of the Herman Survivors from Walmart that have lasted longer than any of the Timberlands, Keens, Wolverines, or Rocky boots. The company I work for buys our boots for work, and I go through 3-4 pair of the Timberlands, Keens, Wolverines, and Rocky boots a year.

We have to wear steel toe or safety toe boots and the particular job that I operate deals with hydrochloric acid, peroxide, caustic, wet conditions, and sometimes high temps. I know that conditions dictate life expectancy on gear, and the conditions that I subject my boots to are more extreme than most, but speaking from experience, cheap boots (and im not talking about price here), just don't hold up like some of the brands that handcraft their boots.

I paid $80 for my last pair of Danner Rat boots with Goretex after signing up for their emails. That's almost a $300 savings. Granted they're seconds, but they were new and made in the States. Like most seconds, I can't find why they were kicked back and not sold for full retail. Another brand that I have purchased and had luck with is Thorogood boots. When looking for boots for personal use, I'm looking for stitched on soles versus the glued ones.

I have a pair of ariat boots that were two weeks old when I wrecked my street bike and the emts cut the laces on the left boot to get it off. I bought another pair just like them when I got the cast off and then a month or so later my dad gave me the boots that I had been wearing when I wrecked.

I wore the new pair for over ten years and when I finally wore them out it put new laces in the still new 10 year old pair. The soles fell apart in under a week.

It would seem that storing boots unworn will make the soles deteriorate faster that the same time period on a pair being worn.

Back
Top Bottom