Bore Sighted, what is the distance to X????

Redleg

Default rank <500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Survivalist
153   0
Reaction score
This is what retired Artilleryman's brain activity ponders.

Given a standard deer rifle with a standard variable scope and current bore sighting equipment, what is the distance to the center of your target to the first three rounds center of impact?
There is no wrong answer except "it depends". Looking for your experience and results. Would also like to have your explanation of why those results occurred when you zeroed.

Thanks

In the situation above, looking for how far the group is from your aim point, when you first fire for zero from having done bore sight beforehand. It can be any distance 25, 100 yards.....

My boresighting equipment involves my eyeball, a leaf or power pole in the distance (the farther the better, as long as I can see it) that can be viewed through the barrel, some effort to secure the rifle so that it remain still while I adjust my turrets.

I am usually within an inch or maybe two at 100 yards. I get close like stated above, then confirm on a orange paster centered in the bore at the "range", then fire for effect and adjust accordingly.

Every gun I own I can use this method on.

My boresighting equipment involves my eyeball, a leaf or power pole in the distance (the farther the better, as long as I can see it) that can be viewed through the barrel, some effort to secure the rifle so that it remain still while I adjust my turrets.

I am usually within an inch or maybe two at 100 yards. I get close like stated above, then confirm on a orange paster centered in the bore at the "range", then fire for effect and adjust accordingly.

Every gun I own I can use this method on.
Great words,, Adjust, Fire For Effect

At 25 yds, under 1" wind-age, within 2" elevation. Read ballistic table for height above bore, adjust, and fire at 100 yds. VERY close, and am right on within a few shots.

Jeep78 tell me more about "ballistic table for height above bore"

I'll see if I can find the site for you, but height of the sight above the bore greatly affects close in shots, but the further from the muzzle, the less the effect. Inside 25 yds - a lot of effect, 200 yds, nil.

So I plug in "height above bore" as well as bullet weight, ballistic coefficient, muzzle velocity, temperature and pressure altitude.

I am not near that info right now, will post a link tonight.

I print out a ballistic correction card from this, and it has proven quite accurate over time.

Back
Top Bottom